Whats wrong with that?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A teacher in a Derby school has been suspended for getting his students who arrive late for school to do press-ups? Can anyone explain to me why this is wrong. They're not allowed to hit children anymore but i can't see what harm doing press ups does to the children. Or is it because all our children are overweight these days and the exertion from the exercise might be too much for them?

If my children came home and said they'd had to do press-ups because they were late that morning i'd say it served them right! And the school in question had not received any complaints from the children involved or their parents.

Sponsored Links
I'm "only" 28, so was at secondary school 1991-1996, and press-ups (or laps around the (enormous) playing field) were a routine punishment for certain misdemeanors while I was there - I don't see anything wrong with it either. I especially agree with Andrew's comment that it could even help the current problems of child obesity.

However, I do know that one of the teacher's preferred punishments has now been stopped - instead of lines, he'd give you "dots" - an A4 sheet of graph paper in which you'd have to place a ballpoint dot in every single square(!!!) - certainly some migraines afoot if not RSI...! (fair play to him for the idea though, once you'd had that punishment once you made bl**dy sure not to get it again!)

There were a few teachers at my school who were complete tw*ts! One (a Maths teacher), used to grab the hair at the side of your temple and pull you up from your chair. This could be for committing crimes as serious as getting a question wrong!!! :eek: Obviously getting your hair pulled at the temple brought tears to the eyes which was what he wanted to see. He really was an evil b**tard!

As for this new 'punishment'. There were a couple of female teachers I wouldn't have minded doing press-ups on top of! :D

Sponsored Links
I'm "only" 28, so was at secondary school 1991-1996, and press-ups (or laps around the (enormous) playing field) were a routine punishment for certain misdemeanors while I was there - I don't see anything wrong with it either. I especially agree with Andrew's comment that it could even help the current problems of child obesity.

However, I do know that one of the teacher's preferred punishments has now been stopped - instead of lines, he'd give you "dots" - an A4 sheet of graph paper in which you'd have to place a ballpoint dot in every single square(!!!) - certainly some migraines afoot if not RSI...! (fair play to him for the idea though, once you'd had that punishment once you made bl**dy sure not to get it again!)

Yes we had a teacher that did the dots thing. I think it was Dr. Pack the head of maths. Also running around our sports fields meant a 2 mile trek but enough places to have a crafty fag along the way. ;)

next thing they will be banning sending a child to the corner

im all for physical punishment. i was a wee b*stard in school, it was a good day if i made a teacher cry. i was in a chemistry class and was talking to the guy next to me when i should have been reading. the teacher (ex-army and built like the proverbial) sent me out to wait in the hall. A girl was also sent out for being naughty and when i went out i shrugged my shoulders and smiled.

when the teacher came out he sent her in then got up in my face and said, 'what are you smiling at boy?'
'tut, nothing'

he picked me up buy the collar and pressed me up against the wall i managed to stutter, 'get off me'

so he started saying 'or else what? what you gonna do boy?'
i backed down form this confrontation and said, 'ill do nothing sir'

i ended up sent to the principles office and got a saturday detention but i never set a foot wrong in his class agin. got a b in chemistry as a result

i dont think he was was being a d*ckhead he just let me know who was boss

he picked me up buy the collar and pressed me up against the wall i managed to stutter, 'get off me'

so he started saying 'or else what? what you gonna do boy?'
i backed down form this confrontation and said, 'ill do nothing sir'

sounds like boss howard my old headmaster he used to stand at his office door on a morning one crook of that finger and the old phrase "come here boy" still makes me nervous thinking about it ;)

mind he was a 6 foot 6 ex rugby player :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back