HOW CAN I GET MY SON TO STUDY HARDER AND LONGER

Sorry Geek, you've just experienced the cycle of life. In becoming a parent, and wanting the best for your child, you've forgotten how your parents went on at you to do your homework, and I'm sure that you came up with all sorts of smart answers that annoyed them as well; but you survived, and so will your son.

There is pretty much nothing whatsoever that you can do to persuade him to work harder, and all you'll do is keep knocking your head against a brick wall and annoying him in the process. This is his journey in life, not yours, and he will become the person that he's destined to be, not the person that you're experience and wisdom thinks he can be, or should be.

If he screws up his exams, then like Blightyman, he can follow them up afterwards, but it'll be his choice to, not yours. So sit back, encourage him when you can or when he needs it, and gently point out the pitfalls ahead of him when he goes wrong, but above all, take the pressure off him to be something you think he should be, and that'll improve the relationship you have with him.

Sponsored Links
Bugger, I misread that! Ooops, sorry. Ahh, makes things different I think, rewards won't work at that age anyway.

Sounds like a typical teen then, not wanting to really work. Solution? Haven't a clue really other than encouragement & praise (not nagging).

D'oh! I'm guilty of misreading the OP too, and then you went and compounded it by stating he was 10, so I'm blaming you more than myself! :sneaky::whistle:

I've got a Y11 lad who is currently in the middle of his GCSE's and he is so laid back he's in danger of falling over.

Yelling, pleading, none of it works.

But we did get him a tutor every week for the past I don't know how long until the exams started. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be enough to push him through so he can get into 6th form college.

Sponsored Links
Hi Folks

Thanks very much indeed for all your valuable contributions.

Just to clarify for those who got a bit confused with my son's age, he is going to be 15 years old next month and is in year 10 at school.

Once again, many thanks for all your responses, so far.

Back