Having a kitchen fitted, Part P and 17th

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister and husband are looking at having their kitchen redone through one of the big DIY stores (fitting as well).

They have an old style CU - wired fuses etc. I think 3 total, one for downstairs sockets, 1 lights and 1 upstairs sockets, I think.

Their kitchen has a gas only cooker and hob, so no electric connection.

They have been told by the DIY firm that they wont touch it until they have put an RCD on the circuit for the kitchen. Is this normal does anyone know? and wont this then mean that a new CU needs to be fitted?

They don't think they will need to change the electrics much i.e. they have enough sockets etc, but would want an extractor fitting. The washing machine/dryer is plugged into a socket under the units and has no FCU connection above the unit.

If they changed nothing (ignoring the extractor for a minute) would it be allowable to leave the electrics as they are when they fit the new kitchen? or is their necessity legally to bring the electrics up to current regs? for example what would happen with sockets not accessible for washing machine?

If they change nothing except the extractor, don't know how one is fitted, is a spur allowed for example (but whatever is the correct method)? By 'breaking in' to the existing kitchen electrics must the circuit they have broken into (kitchen ring) mean that that whole circuit must be to current standards (or just the part they put in i.e. the new bits for the extractor, if its the former then presume they must then put under RCD which means probably changing the CU?

They just want to know that they are not being fed the wrong information by the store and therefore having more work done than is strictly necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
in a nutshell, yes. and obviously so. diy stores are suffering and if they leave a job, you can be pretty sure there is a solid reason.

but apart form whether it must be done or not, it would be a really good idea to upgrade the consumer unit to a 17th edition version as well as have the whole lot tested.
IF the entire wiring system is okay, it really would not be that expensive.
if the wiring needs work, it would be even more worth doing it as your life would be at risk if you did nothing about the faults.
my money would be on the installation not being up to spec at the moment.

I agree with bengasman - it's worth getting it up to standards now. Had mine own done 2 months back and cost £300 all inclusive for couple of additional sockets, earthing, complete check and new consumer unit (which cost nearly £100 anyway so they made under £200 for a day's work with the paperwork).

Hob needs wiring anyway (ignition).

Sponsored Links
Get a new 17th edit CU for sure, upgrade as necessary,inc bonding/earthing.install new circuits in kitchen, full test and insp and cert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back