Having Problem mitering my worktops...Photos included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,
Thanks for the helpful info on installing the RSJ's for my kitchen

Now I'm routering my worktops, Ive started with some scrap worktops, but cant get a good fit...

The Jig is in good cond, router cutter is a bit tired(new one for good tops).
But as you can see from the photos the match isant right.
Like a wheel, the "inside" corner is "tighter" than the outside corner, this just seems odd and dont fit right....Any suggestions?

Nelson :oops:

Sponsored Links
Is the guide bush perfectly centered in the router base.

Are you doing the cuts with the bush against the slot edge towards you then a final full cut with the bush against the worktop side if the slot.

Is it a 12.7mm or 1/2" bit, if you are using a 12mm bit it will not work

Jason

Hi Jason,
I feel the Jig is fine and the guide has only approx a mm in it....and cutter is 12.7mm
But the offcut wont fit back against the orginal cut properly?

My thoughts are, cut this on paper on the center, now off each side cut another 6.3mm the inside corner will get "tighter" and the outside corner will be more open....these bits cant fit, Kinda like a roundabout, the outside kerb and inside kerb will never fit!!! why would this?(only the distance is changed, like one side of the cutter to the other12.7mm)
I feel i'm missing something as feel both cuts need to be cut with the same side of the cutter, but that seems impossable...?

What am I missing?
Nelson

The way the jigs are made will compensate for the internal & external curves so you won't get what you are describing.

The bush being a mm off will cause the problem, do you not have the centering tool with the router that is used to set the bush? Also is there any possibility that the clamps holding the jig moved as you were doing one of the cuts.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Damm, Maybe your good....

Checked my "jcb" router and the guide is cast off center, only by a mm or 2, with no adjustment??

So will look at buying another router and try again...,
Thanks for the prompt, I wouldnt have thought the "tool" could be at fault, only time will tell....

I'll keep you informed,

Thanks
Nelson

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back