Having same Internal + external floor level (bi-fold + patio)

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen in some houses where the external floor level is the same as the internal, so basically when you step outside it is the same level.

But i am not sure how this was done because as far as i know your external ground level needs to be 2 courses (150mm) below your DPC.

My extension has basically eaten into a part of the garden where it was a higher level so either i need to have the rest of the garden leveled out to match that height (will then require alot of digging and soil removal) or i find a way to try and keep it the same level and save the time+cost of having to do all the digging etc.

my garden/patio currently:

and ones that have same internal/external floor level.

The only other way i could come up with is to only have the first part (maybe 6m x 2m) of my patio dropped to that dpc level and then railway sleepers or some form of retaining wall to keep the remaining level the same as it is currently, basically just reduces the amount of digging required.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can do level threshold, you will need a level threshold aco surface drain.

Googke threshold drain, there are various options

I have similar, and left a 200mm gap between the house wall and a dwarf blockwork retaining wall supporting the patio (except of course at doors where it meets the house). Ensure the patio falls away from the house, and you have appropriate drainage. Paving Expert website is a great resource.
Here's the dwarf wall before it was filled in and the patio raised:

Sponsored Links
Hi, NHW.

What did you do in the end? Have you got any photos?

I’ve got exactly the same problem with our extension.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back