Having to switch power off and on to reset boiler & heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a small issue with my central heating, and I'm trying to determine whether it is just one of those things and I can ignore it (hoping for this one!) or if it is a sign of something more serious and I need to get it fixed.

Last week my heating stopped working (on at timer/programmer and high enough at thermostat) so I checked the boiler which had no display at all. The boiler is an Ideal Icos HE15 and is in a small cupboard outside my house. In the cupboard it has a power switch on the wall with a fuse in a tray - which I checked was fine - I switched off the boiler and the wall switch (and then back on) as per relighting instructions. Still no display. Inside the house (the airing cupboard) I then looked at the programmer (Honeywell ST9400C). This display and light was normal. It also has a power switch and so I switched this off and then on. This immediately fixed the problem, the three-way valve moved appropriately and the boiler came on and started heating. I was confused (the switch was obviously providing power as the programmer was on) but not overly concerned as it was a one-off. However, it has now repeated the problem in exactly the same way today and so I thought I should investigate more.

I am not sure what information is relevant, so here are some details in case anything here is:
* both times in cold weather
* electricity goes through RCD consumer unit (not tripped)
* I had (a year ago?) a problem with the 3 way valve not moving - the heating engineer just hit it hard (which resolved the problem) and he said there may have been dirt in there) - I mention this as the valve did feel quite warm today - though it did move without problem the moment the power switch was put back on

If anybody has any idea as to the origin of the problem and whether it is something I need to get looked at, I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep 3 port valve, presuming heating works when water comes on?. Probably just need to take the actuator off if possible and wiggle the spindle with a small spanner until it feels looser. If it still struggles then synchronous motor.

Hi!
thanks for that. Yes, the heating and water both work as they're supposed to - separately or together as according to the programmer.

I'll have a go at that. Why would switching the power off and on impact it?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back