Hayter 48 Jubilee wheel noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi taken over cutting grass.

our Hayter 48 Jubilee has a left rear wheel noise , Screech / Dry when push forward pull back no noise.

whats the solution please ?

Donna

Sponsored Links
It’s a good move on a yearly basis to remove the rear wheels for a clean.
If you undo the centre bolt, the main wheel comes off to reveal a small cog that drives a big cog fixed to the wheel itself. Lift the deck up a little, support it on a block of wood, brick or whatever.
These gear wheels pick up dirt and this needs to be scraped away.
You’ll also see a spindle that the wheel spins on, and some grease here helps.
Give us a pic with the wheel off and I’ll take it further as the drive gear is next!
John
(Wearing a hooded anorak)

It’s a good move on a yearly basis to remove the rear wheels for a clean.
If you undo the centre bolt, the main wheel comes off to reveal a small cog that drives a big cog fixed to the wheel itself. Lift the deck up a little, support it on a block of wood, brick or whatever.
These gear wheels pick up dirt and this needs to be scraped away.
You’ll also see a spindle that the wheel spins on, and some grease here helps.
Give us a pic with the wheel off and I’ll take it further as the drive gear is next!
John
(Wearing a hooded anorak)
Thanks John

I think I can manage with those instructions.

Donna

No problem, Donna
Just look out for any very thin steel washers when you pull the wheel away......they are actually called shims and control the end float of the wheel.
Not always vital, but if you miss one out the wheel may bind when you replace it.
Hope it goes well!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Removed wheel cleaned out grass ( not to bad)

I think the noise is from the bearing !

Tried to push some grease into this both sides.
Will wait to see after its cut the grass again.

If looks like new rear wheel.

Hayter 48 Jubilee - 424V Model 127802. No serial No rubbed off .

Donna ( now to clean finger nails)

Attachments

• wheel 1.JPG
    wheel 1.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 31
  • wheel2.JPG
    wheel2.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 28
Excellent, everything is in good nick there, you could do worse than shift the grass in the large wheel cog (second pic) although its pretty clean.
I don't know if this machine has bearings or bushes........shifting that washer on the second pic would help, likewise a shot from the other side of the wheel with the bolt removed. Either way, a drench with oil won't hurt anything, but keep any lube away from the gear teeth.
Now that you in the depths of the thing, see the small cog in the first pic? That connects to the drive axle. It should be possible for it to free wheel in one direction, but turn the axle the other as you spin it. Can you give it a try?
This cog should be packed with grease internally, as it contains a device which allows the rear wheels to turn independently to each other, effectively allowing you to steer.
This cog is held in place with a circlip, which is a bit more involved to remove but we'll consider that later if need be.
John :)
P.S. Want to clean those finger nails? Make some pastry - works a treat!
J.:giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back