hd.tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anybody got it and is it worth the dosh to sky, can you get it from another supplier :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can get it via freesat..Not got it. I think my picture on my 42 is Brill as it is why pay more, but then I dont wach hrs + hrs of f/ball.

People that have it all say its good...well they would.

billyo - i heard a report not too long ago that unless you have perfect vision, (i.e. you do not need to wear glasses/contact lenses at all, even is if you don't wear them when you watch TV) your eyes will be unable to see any noticeable difference between normal digital TV broadcasts and HDTV. I don't know how true it is but my stance on the subject is that there isn't much on TV thats worth watching at all so i'll be damned if i'm gonna pay extra to watch it in HD.

Sponsored Links
I've watched an episode of KyleXY on normal satelite on my 42" LCD, then again downloaded in HD through the HDMI lead on my computer, onto my 42" LCD... the difference is stagering.. and I wear glasses all the time..

Does'nt the HD picture quality also depend on your tellies resolution i.e. 720p or 1080p. I recently changed our telly and the price differences between "older" resolution models and the latest ones is horrendous. I ended up with a Panasonic 1080p jobbie then found out I have to upgrade the Virgin Media box from V to Vplus to recieve HD channels, the V box I have dos'nt even have an HDMI cable input slot so it goes on and on. I don't watch that much telly, the picture I have is good so sod HD

the V box I have dos'nt even have an HDMI cable input slot so it goes on and on.
What would be the point? HDMI is for HD signals. Scart and phono can transmit analogue signals perfectly.

I don't watch that much telly, the picture I have is good so s** HD
You would say that, I bet your new TV cost you £600+ and you thought you could watch HD on it with no additional equipment. ;) :cool:

Does'nt the HD picture quality also depend on your tellies resolution i.e. 720p or 1080p. I recently changed our telly and the price differences between "older" resolution models and the latest ones is horrendous. I ended up with a Panasonic 1080p jobbie then found out I have to upgrade the Virgin Media box from V to Vplus to recieve HD channels, the V box I have dos'nt even have an HDMI cable input slot so it goes on and on. I don't watch that much telly, the picture I have is good so s** HD

Virgin only have 1 HD channel and thats BBC HD preview. If you want a HD service sky is your only option, or move to a proper country. BTW unless you have blu-ray discs you wasted your money cos broadcasters won't give any more than 720p anyway.

As for whether it's worth any extra, well that depends if you can see the freakin' difference doesn't it. Personally I think it's fantastic, but if you're partially sighted and drive a ssangyong it probably won't matter to you.

billyo - i heard a report not too long ago that unless you have perfect vision, (i.e. you do not need to wear glasses/contact lenses at all, even is if you don't wear them when you watch TV) your eyes will be unable to see any noticeable difference between normal digital TV broadcasts and HDTV. I don't know how true it is but my stance on the subject is that there isn't much on TV thats worth watching at all so i'll be damned if i'm gonna pay extra to watch it in HD.

i watch blu ray throught my hdtv and i wear glasses. its so good its unreal.

even when the kids watched sleeping beauty remastered on blu ray there is a big difference.

I must admit that I don't really see any difference between HD and normal TV - neither does my mum and my brother keeps telling us we must be blind. So we just agree with him and say the quality is amazing (we'll be found out though if we say that and he's not on HD!!)

Personally, I don't see the point in paying extra for HD on my TV but everyone has their own opinions.

get yourself down to comet or dixons or any of the other places that sell tellies and see if they have a demo station set up..

they run a normal telly next to an HD one and you'll notice the difference..

I must admit that I don't really see any difference between HD and normal TV - neither does my mum and my brother keeps telling us we must be blind. So we just agree with him and say the quality is amazing (we'll be found out though if we say that and he's not on HD!!)

Personally, I don't see the point in paying extra for HD on my TV but everyone has their own opinions.

i cant beleive that yourself or anyone cant tell the difference

i saw sky doing a promotion in a shopping centre, "Shrek" was on the tv, so i watched for a while, but within seconds you see it was in HD. It was though the charaters were 3D not "flat" like they are on my tv.

Would i have it? no, its very good, but i can still see the same film, get the same story on my non HD tv, as some one with a HD tv, and I pay less.

I remember when we got a Toshiba 24 inch CRT TV about 15 years ago.

We had upgraded from a "Teleton?" which had a huge remote and I think was the first ever colour TV to be made over 14 inch (lol)

So the new TV had a scart socket.

Well we were amazed at the difference in quality, it was fantastic.

When we got Sky digikil a few years after, and plugged it in via scart, it was even better :eek:

Then we got a 42 inch Plasma screen and the quality dropped a level, tbh. The MPEG compression artefacts are obvious at high speed and the quality in general is poor.

Now we have to pay extra for HD on our LCDs, which is what, in my opinion, we all had on our CRTs 5 years ago! :rolleyes:

i saw sky doing a promotion in a shopping centre
Sky, or one of their selling agents? ;) Cant be too careful. You might find he'll try to sell you cable too if you dont want an ugly dish on your house.

And ask him where his picture is coming from - cos i bet its not from that Sky HD box he's got on display - where would he put the dish? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back