Why buyers distrust house surveys

Sponsored Links
sellers get just 93% of their asking price.

Because properties are deliberately priced above their value. Estate agents will often say "I reckon it's worth £100K, so let's put it on at £110K".

I would get a full survey done on the next place I buy. I didn't bother with this one but it has been fine.

However, I would also consider an electrical inspection by an electrician, and "full disclosure" from the vendor on things such as age and condition of boiler, how often they had it serviced, are they aware of any structural modifications etc.

Reading the letters people have sent to the BBC website... what part of the word "structural" don't they understand?! I'm sorry but I wouldn't expect a surveyor to test the electrics and gas appliances, anymore than I would expect an electrician testing the electrics to give me an opinion on the state of the foundations! :LOL:

AdamW said:
agents will often say "I reckon it's worth £100K, so let's put it on at £110K".

Blimey what are they looking at, a garden shed ?

100k, more like 850k ?

I was picking an arbitrary figure :p

However if they put an £850K property on the market for £110K I would be right up there.

Sponsored Links
AdamW wrote,
what part of the word "structural" don't they understand?!
You have to put this into context though. When buying the house you only really need the valuation survey for the mortgage, but you will also be offered a full survey for additional cost. They are offering both full and part survey's so it is only reasonable to expect the dearer one to be more thorough.

I would suggest structure in this context means all the building rather than just the brickwork frame. They also call it a structure when surveying warehouses offices etc. A structure can be other than a house so they should use proper English.

It is just another example of the one of the professions ripping of the consumer. Like accountants, solicitors etc all pi**ing in the same pot.

Back