HDMI Cable

Sponsored Links
Cheesus. There are definitely people out there with waaaaay more money than sense :eek:

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say it will either work or not just because its digital.
once i bought a cheap cable from Tesco for a PS3 which seemed to work fine, however the picture was noticeably poor compared to freesat HD.
Further investigation revealed that the playstation was dropping down to 480p because evidently the cable couldn't handle the higher resolution.
It could of course have just been a fault on this one particular cable and nothing to do with the cable being cheaper than others, but it did annoy me for a while because i also thought well, its a digital cable, either it works or it doesn't. Turns out that's not strictly true.

Sponsored Links
I agree. I don't believe the results of a sub standard cable are as catastrophoc as some make out.

Plug a vhs video and a Blu Ray player into a full HD tv. They will both play at different levels of quality as the Blu Ray has many more million pixles. The TV just compensates and does the best it can. You still get to watch the film.

Now imagine a sub standard cable loosing a few thousand pixles of info here and there. You still get to watch the film but the TV makes do with the info it has recieved.
If you only have a Tesco TV and ASDA Blu Ray plyer you may be happy with the $1.49 cable but if you have spent thousands on gear £8 to £10 must be a good starting point.

I had a £8 one and a "25 one.

The £8 one is now with the ex wife :D

There can be a difference.

I run LG 1080HD and LG Blu Ray.
Also a Sharp HD and a Sharp Blu Ray.
Both with soundbars.

Both with the £25 leads.

Now imagine a sub standard cable loosing a few thousand pixles of info here and there. You still get to watch the film but the TV makes do with the info it has recieved..

I don't mean to cause offence but it just doesn't work that way. A cable is not going to cause a few thousand pixels to be lost. I can't explain pff's findings because, at this speed of transmission, a cable really is going to work or it's not.

Anyways, I think the conclusion that we are all reaching is don't spend £2 or £200 on an HDMI cable. I'm happy to spend a tenner and, if others are happy to spend £25 then that also seems to fall within the realms of reason.

Cheers
Scott

Ok, I did a quick bit of google research. First thing to say is that there are a lot of people who swear by more expensive cables. I originally majored in electronics and then switched to computing so I can't see any empirical evidence that functioning HDMI cables should differ in performance.
However, we're dealing with people's senses (sight and sound) here so if some folks can see a subjective difference, I'm not going to argue.

But (...) I would emphasise that there is little research that bears this out. I did find a very interesting article that researches a number of cables and generally concludes that cost is not a factor For cables less than 50ft. I wonder if this may be the differentiator in some people's comparisons?
For the sake of balance, what they say is;
The fact is, below 50 feet, performance is going to be a LOT more uniform. In other words, you’ll have more cables that will work on everything. As such, it’s even more likely that a cheap cable will perform the same as their more expensive counterparts. At short distances (under 10 feet), like we’ve always said, there’s not going to be any difference.

Anything up to 10m and any priced cable will do. Over 10m and quality diminishes and the need for a higher quality grade of cable is required.

Wake you up did we?
You the copper on here now?
Bad enough in GD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back