HDMI Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

is there any difference beyween a £1.99 cable and a £20 cable? other then the price.

thanks

Sponsored Links
In terms of whether it works or not - no.

The more expensive one probably has fancy packaging, gold plated knobs on and a silly name attached - but none of that will affect how it functions.

Those 'experts' will say the expensive ones are better.
I got a 5m cheap one less that £6 no problem, the 12" b&w is brill.. :p

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I got mine from poundland and it works ok i was in currys one day and overheard a salesman saying to a couple you can have this HDMI lead half price £20 and they should be £40.

I bought a 5M lead from cable universe for £8 to link my pc to tv and that works perfectly.

Andy

There's all sorts of cr@p posted in magazines and forums that shoud know better, that expensive cables "minimise jitter". HDMI is a digital signal and, with a cable up to around 50m, it pretty much transmits the signal or it doesn't.
If (and this is a huge if) the cable had some kind of defect that caused it to lose data then the effects would be pretty catastrophic; you would almost certainly get no signal at all at the other end because the cable was, well, defective.
Any one who suggests that a cheap cable will "lose" bits is talking rubbish and has a pretty poor understanding of electronic signalling.

The difference between a £2 and a £6 cable is probably quality of connectors and will likely have an impact of the life-expectancy of the cable. I'd probably buy a £6 cable for that reason. No way would is spend £20, £50 or £100 on an HDMI cable.

I have quite an expensive (£50) QED HDMI lead and its really no better than another one I got for £9.99

But a £2 lead...... I don't think I'd spend much less than a tenner on a lead to connect a £1000 TV to a £200 Blu Ray player!

I have several 1m HDMI leads from poundland, I have not found problem with them yet in either manufacturing quality or picture.

I know these things are cheap to make, 2 connectors and some cable. There is no justification for £20+ prices IMHO.

I have quite an expensive (£50) QED HDMI lead and its really no better than another one I got for £9.99

But a £2 lead...... I don't think I'd spend much less than a tenner on a lead to connect a £1000 TV to a £200 Blu Ray player!
Then you do not understand what it is an HDMI cable does. ;)

Why do I not understand how digital/binary 10101010's get transferred along a cable and they either get there or not just because I own an expensive cable?

I agreed in my earlier post that there is no difference betwenn my £50 and £10 leads. But I don't think people should but the cheapest lead possible. What if someone was selling them for 10pence on ebay would you buy that?

Unless a 10p HDMI cable is faulty it will work and transmit identical data to that of one costing £2 or £200. Therefore it begs the question of what would be wrong with spending 10p on such a cable? The OP posted a question asking whether more expensive cable were worth paying for, I took it that the underlying reason for asking was of quality of picture/sound rather than cable reliability.

You can use Cat5 now if you know how.
Also wireless but sod that for a bag of tricks :p

hi,
thanks for the reply's i went for a £1.49 cable from ebay in the end, was tempted by a £15 cable in asda tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back