HE24 Vibrating Boiler Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, I WILL be paying a GSE to come around and fix this as I'm pretty sure whatever it is will require tools that I don't have. HOWEVER I have had one guy around already and he (rightly) tried to flog a new boiler installation without even looking at it. I suspect his knowledge of these aging boilers wasn't great and/or he couldn't be bothered. He took the £60 callout and ran. Unfortunately for him I have lots of time sweat and tears invested into this ******* horrible boiler and I'm a persistent git. I'm down to the last issue. If it ain't broke...

So far;

S Trap clean and working
Sump clean
Electrode swapped
Many, many seals changed. :)
All nuts and bolts tight.
Heat transfer drained.
Flue is clear. No corrosion inside boiler on flue pipe.

And here's the problem:-

The only thing I can think off which will be on the GSE list is to check the gas mixture? I don't see why it would have changed though.

The only pattern is it'll do it when hot but not from a cold start until hot. Once hot it'll do it repeatedly every 30 seconds or so, as you can hear in the video.

Could someone knowledgeable with said boiler offer a checklist for diagnosing the noise which I can hand to the next engineer that comes around? It's that or I ring around and say to only attend if they have formidable experience with this aging boiler?

My thanks,

Andrew

PS) If there's a GSE around Newcastle that knows what it is & can fix it - send me a PM. Happy to pay!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I put the feelers out earlier and just had one back - one GSE in Consett simply said "It's ****ed". This is exactly why I'm not getting any Tom Dick Harry out again. Surely its "****ed" for a reason. :rolleyes:

^^ also trying to find a "Ideal certified engineer" rather than a general GSE around the Newcastle area if anyone knows please PM me.

Gas valve get it replaced when on low flame sounds like solinoid chattering,get a gas safe engineer to sort it or pay ideal a fixed price repair

Sponsored Links
just call Ideal and get a fixed price repair that will cover all parts and labour and you will get a warranty, sounds like the pump to me but I would have to be in front of it to be sure, dont know the full details but SSE are advertising just now that will fix a broken down boiler for free if you take out boiler cover for a year, personally I would go with Ideal they will have the parts and will know what is wrong

Guy coming tomorrow, from the Ideal accredited list so fingers crossed he wont do what the last one did (took the fuse out, £60 off my mother and f**ked off).

Will look at Ideal fixed repair though. I thought SSE etc wouldn't cover these old boilers.

SSE are that desperate they will take on absolutely anything now

The ideal accredited guy said it could be a number of things, he give the fan as the first thing. Above we've had gas valve and pump.

A couple things are for sure:-

1. it will only happen when the boiler is at working temperature. For the duration leading up to that we can have hot water and/or central heating without noise.
2. the noise cycles every 30 seconds or thereabouts and lasts about 6 seconds. I could begin timing it and probably should, but it appears to be consistent in period and duration.
3. the noise and vibration is substantial so whatever is creating it has _a lot_ of power behind it. I mean a lot - the house vibrates!
4. there are no error codes at all. If the pump, gas valve, fan were to become temperamental would that trigger something?

I do not want to be in a situation where the guy is unsure and we begin swapping out the gas valve, pump etc - the boiler simply isn't worth that.

Regards, Andrew

PS) I see SSE do cover for about £15/m - no mention that they'll take on a knackered boiler though!

Guy coming tomorrow, from the Ideal accredited list so fingers crossed he wont do what the last one did (took the fuse out, £60 off my mother and f**ked off).
being on IDEAL accredited list doesn't make them from IDEAL , call IDEAL themselves to get a definite fix and less hassle because they carry the parts probably

eBay carries most the parts too. There's probably more parts on eBay for these boilers then in Ideal's stock room!

That sounds like insufficient gas pressure/pipe sizing incorrect, have an engineer check gas pressure at the boiler under full working pressure.

But why only when it's hot? It can run for 10 minutes before the noise begins.

As above, call Ideal themselves out rather than an Ideal accredited installer. They'll charge you a set amount up front and keep throwing parts at it until it works again, then give you a years' warranty on their repair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back