Header Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a problem with a leak which seems to be OK now, but noticed yesterday that there is still water leaking from somewhere :( Noticed the colour of the water in the tank is orange! Is this OK?

Sponsored Links
I have recently had a power flush.....what do I need to do?

my header tank is plastic.....so what is rusty and causing the water to be orange??

Sponsored Links
my property is 20 years old.....are you saying that I need new radiators??

The water in the header tank doesn't get renewed, so any rust from the system ends up in there.....its red because the steel radiators gradually rust if there isn't any inhibitor in the system.
If you've just had a power flush, its to be hoped that the system was inhibited with a quality product such as Fernox etc.
Its a good move to remove the rusty water and other grot from the tank by using a wet vacuum cleaner - draining down just pulls this grot into your system.
John :)

Thank you John for your reply - but what if I don't have a wet vacuum cleaner?

We've all been down that route, and its possible to syphon the liquid out of the tank and then get in there with a sponge but I wouldn't recommend getting a mouthful..... :p
Another way is to disconnect the plumbing from the tank and wash it out in the garden, but thats a chore too.
You may be able to borrow a wet vac from a friend? Its really a two person job to lower the vac from the loft anyway as it will be quite full.
You mention you still have a leak from somewhere?

pity you live so far away or you could do it for me :) Yes the tank still seems to have a leak albeit I had some joints tightened which seemed to do the trick, but I noticed yesterday it was still leaking, but I don't know where from :(

It could be the tank connectors - they are the unions that actually fix into the tank, and then the pipe work is coupled into them.
Haphazard tightening of these is almost guaranteed to set a leak off, unfortunately and the connections need to be stripped out and re done.....only a 1/2 hour job - with an empty tank!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back