Heat detector location with kitchen island

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to chose where to put my heat detector. It would be pretty simple if I could put it in the centre of the room, but I have a kitchen Island with a hob smack bang in the centre.

I also have recessed downlights all around the island.

Does it matter if the heat detector is near the a extractor in the middle or near the downlights?

Sponsored Links
placing direct over a heat sources is never a good idea.

what type of detector have you got, as in kitchens you have to select one thats unlikley to alarm if you burn the dinner or toast.

warm air rises, smoke hits the ceiling and spreads along it.

I wouldn't worry about the extractor - it will probably be turned off when you need the heat detector to work!

Obviously, you shouldn't put it over the hob. Anywhere else will do but try and keep it 2 feet from a wall. A rate-of-rise heat detector would be better than a fixed temperature type - and most RoR detectors will trigger at 60-70 degC anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back