Kitchen Island spacing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the general consensus on how much space to plan around a kitchen Island?

We planned ours some months ago and I've just finished assembling the units. The room area is all open plan kitchen, dining room and lounge. I planned in 1M between the wall units and the Island units. The Wall units are full height (7 in total) and the island has the cooker hob on.

It looks a bit tight, I can make it bigger, but it would mean redoing some flooring and a bit of chipping out to allow the power cables for the island to move back. I'm trying to work out if its worth it or not?

What do people go with? Kitchen planner said minimum 900mm so I thought a 1m would be plenty.. I can't make my mind up if I should bite the bullet and do the rework.

Any thoughts or experience? I'm trying to work out if I will regret not trying to change it.

Sponsored Links
Just try opening a kitchen floor cupboard and have a grovel in the back of it. I think 1m is too narrow.
Frank

thanks for the reply - I'm starting to conclude I need about 1.2 - 1.3M since I have to consider opening oven doors etc.

I've set mine as 1m, with the dish washer open, i can still open the draws directly opposite, however its dependent on what openings you have, a 60cm door may not open, but a 40cm may do... in may case i think the draws pull out about 45cm.

Like wise 1m is enough for me to be washing dishes on one side, and my wife to stand directly behind cooking on the island.

see what your use would be and what would be opening when. Although you may think that there isnt enough space, look at how you will be using it.

I've got an L shape kitchen wall units, with the island. Sink and cooker back on to each other with 1m gap, and on the short side of island, the wall unit has oven. Idea is we can open the oven door, pull out the tray, turn around and place pan onto worktop. No space for anyone to get in the way, no walking required...

Have a play before you start moving and see how practically you will use the space first!

Sponsored Links
Still in planning stage but looking to get 1.2-1.4m gap in my kitchen, it will also form a slight corridor to rear doors.

had a bit of a play with it last night. 1.2m looks right, but 1.3 means you can comfortably open oven doors and stand behind them. more than 1.3m starts to look disconnected. I'm going to redo the floor and electrics - about half a days work, but reckon I will regret it if I don't.

I saw a few online guides saying 1.2m is ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back