Kitchen Layout - guidelines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm tryng to find some guidance on the positioning of kitchen units etc. relative to doors wall etc. to work out our how much free space need to leave.
3 specific questions:

1. the kitchen layout is one back wall (the north wall of the room) with units, cooker etc. and a large island to the south. How much space shoud be between the units and the island?

2. how much space should be between the west side of the island and the wall of the kitchen.

3. how much space should be between the east side of the island and the doorway tha allows entrance into the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Guide lines are 1200mm between unit openings and any object and the door speaks for itself as longs as it opens and to be safe no unit doors open into its path and can be ripped of if kitchen door is swung in to hit unit door

400mm for distance between hob/cooker and sink or wall I see your hob is next to drainer!! Might be worth swapping unit 12 and hob round just to be safe! I take it space next to sink is for fridge/freezer where are dirty dishes going to sit?

Why 2 doors into one room? Would top one blocked up not give more space to put units up to?

The Fridge/freezer is item 16 on the other side of the room, the space next to the sink is where the CH boilers are at present. The sink unit has a dishwasher on the right half of the unit (cant see it in the plan) so dunno if that makes a difference about having somewhere to store dirty dishes etc. but i think your right moving the cooker down a bit would make sense.

two doors because its two rooms at the moment, which will eventually get knocked into one. so one door will get blocked up i just haven't decided which one yet

Cheers for the pointers, a big help
e

Sponsored Links
If you move hob you will have space between drainer and hob its just there was no space thats all really. Just thinking about the wife having to move from dishes, say on number 12 back to number 18 where dishwasher is!!!

That Ikea planner is good but only if you buy from them as they have 800 mm units others use 1000 mm.

I planned my girlfreinds kitchen and installed it myself apart from worktops as I wanted the jig join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back