wobbly kitchen island

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed 2 300mm base units with an integrated cooker suspended between then and a gas hob above to form a cooker island with an island hob over. It looks great but it is like a wobbly table. I have checked all the feet etc and i am under the impression it is just not rigid enough. i have not fitted the plinths or end and side pannels yet.

How could i shore the island up and make it really solid appart from filling up cabinets with bricks?

I was thinking of puting bricks underneath the cabinets and packing it up with mortar to kind of act as foundations then hide it all with the plinths and panels.

anyone got any other ideas please?

Sponsored Links
I would complete the assembly as a modular structure, and see how steady it is then. Firmly mounting the end panels to the floor would work well, but I guess the plinths are clipped to the legs?
You may need to add extra timber just to beef things up, but I wouldn't go as far as using bricks!
John :)

Either as John recommends or you could use some of the angle brackets that secure base cabinets and work tops / wall together. Secure them to the cabinet and floor instead.

Thinking about it Johns idea would give a more substantial fixing, which is properly best for an island.

I would guess that upgrading the backs of the units would do a lot to improve their rigidity. The average kitchen unit has a thin MDF / hardboard back just slotted into grooves, so there's not much going on to keep the sides and top square to each other - that's normally taken care of by fixing the unit to the wall behind it - not an option if it's an island!

Faced with similar rigidity problems on a mobile kitchen unit mounted on castors, I cut a back panel from 1/2" plywood, and glued and screwed it to the back of the unit all the way around - top, bottom and both sides. The improvement in rigidity was dramatic!

Sponsored Links
I wont be rigid until all units are attached to one member [rear panel?] and will wobble if its not secured to floor and with a gas connection involved could be dangerous if there is too much movement.Ideally should not be sitting on plastic legs but on secured external panels.

Thanks guys.

I still have not resolved this yet, but a joiner friend is coming soon to fit the end panels and plinths as the floor is natural slate and slightly uneven so i need him to scribe it to get a neat joint with the floor. Perhaps he will be able to make it more ridged.

Thnaks for all your suggestions and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back