Island worktop size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please confirm if there is a lip on a kitchen worktop island? My island will be 3m x 1.2m and I was wondering if I need to account for a slightly wider and deeper measurement in my room space even if only for a few cm as I'm trying to avoid coming more into the doorway line from the hall.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what is underneath the island, but generaly, if there are units underneath, then there'll be a lip. It's there to make sure that any split liquids don't drip down in to the unit doors/drawers etc.

is the 1200 measurement from two base units back to back?

The actual size might be only 550mm or so. Some people whiz a bit off the panels at the back instead of notching out for pipes and other obstructions. There is usually a groove for the back, then (wasted) space.

Sponsored Links
Yes there a lip as any other work top. Our cabinets are 560mm plus doors so enough space for an overhang if it's small.
As above you can also whiz off a strip at the back, we have a 42mm void on each at the back so you can reduce by 84mm overall without significant modifications.
Edit diy kitchens cabinets. IKEA are renowned for giving smaller voids.
PS 3mx1.2m island is gigantic. That's over half as many sqm as our old kitchen in total!

PS 3mx1.2m island is gigantic. That's over half as many sqm as our old kitchen in total!

I'm having to fight to get the wife to agree to reduce this from 4m by 1.2m as we have an open plan living room and kitchen.
What are the usual island size widths and lengths?

Having built one myself, Id say go big enough for you to have plates the otherside of any sink/hob and leave plenty of space to walk all around it. Particularly if you have dishwashers or oven's openning and want to allow space with doors open. We left a min gap all round of 135cm

this is mine for example:
36855080426_7f6133f7f4_b.jpg

I had a peninsula as the room was not really wide enough to walk round both sides.

It worked as a serving bar, with pan and shallow drawers and a bin cabinet on the kitchen side, and narrow cupboard access on the dining side for glasses and bottles, achieved by mounting doors on the "back" of the units. I didn't think it needed to be 1200mm wide, 800mm was plenty. If people are going to sit at the "bar" it needs an overhang for their knees.

The peninsula did not have a hob or sink.

We were told 1m was more than enough space to leave around the sides of the island, but we felt that was a little tight and opted for 1.15m. Any more and it would have eaten into the open plan living room space and more importantly result in people walking into the back side of the island as we enter the double door from the hall way.

motorbiking, what is the depth of your cupboard under the island (I presume 60cm) and then a 40cm overhang for the breakfast bar? We figured 120cm depth would be good for, like you say, plates etc on the other side of the worktop and then have a 40cm overhand on the short end of the island. Looks like you made the good decision to keep the sink off the island and avoid water going everywhere.

So originally we planned for 90cm walkaround space, but when I laid it out it just felt tight. Since we weren't short of living area space, I increased to 135, but it certainly worked at 120cm. I personally liked the idea of a bit of social space between island and rear cupboards (which are all full height). I will have to measure, but I think we are 140cm deep as the units have 5 cm end posts. Since the worktop is quite thick it was fine with a 40cm over hang

It looks about 140cm wide, but depth looks about 60cm on the cupboard and 100cm on the worktop?

I agree fully about your comment on the social space between the island and the cupboard. The more women we can keep "that side of the kitchen" the better eh?

Out of interest what dome camera you got installed and is it ceiling mounted? Do you leave it on when the family is home?

Yes the side panels over hang the units, I just didn't see the point of cutting them down and spoiling the finish. Plus it supports the work top a bit.

its a Hikvision 4Mp PoE dome camera (ceiling mounted), connects via cat 6 to my NAS server. Its always on, but the server stores based on movement/time of day etc.

I'm probably going to also go for 7x Hikvision for my external but was not planning to put any internal cameras in. How do you rate Hikvision?
Doesn't the kitchen camera put the family off? Do you have them installed elsewhere internally?

the objective was to protect access via the rear of the house. but it also ensures kids friends behave when they hang out after school and before we get home. It's also handy for when we go out and leave the kids in front of the tv. and gives the best view when away that nobody has been in. we have various people with keys. cleaner etc. it was originally installed after a dispute with a builder.

hikvision is good the night vision on the dome is better than the exterior bullet cams

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back