80 litre fishtank on kitchen worktop - weight issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully i've come to the right forum...!

Im having to replace my 60 litre fishtank which is on my kitchen worktop as its just sprang a leak :cry: . as i'm having to replace it (as friend is taking it off me to see if they can fix it if they can find the leak) i might as well go for a slightly larger tank and was wondering if my worktop would be able to handle a tank of around 80 litres which i think weighs something like 17 stones. the worktop sits on a 1000mm cupboards with the worktop being 1200mm.

hopefully someone can confirm that this wont be a problem. :confused:

thanks

Sponsored Links
This is an extra 20lb If the units are sound, should not be a problem.
pete

Sounds about right. 17 stone is the weight of a big bloke, so if you're happy with the concept of someone permanently sat on your worktop them it should be fine. Personally I'd want some safety margin in there so I'd jump up and down on it myself or sit two people on there to test it!

This is an extra 20lb If the units are sound, should not be a problem.
pete

Not being picky but it's an extra 20kgs (1litre = 1kg) Or, if you like, an extra approx 44lb. Quite a big difference. Should still be ok though.

Sponsored Links
80kg for the water, but how heavy is the tank? Thick glass is quite weighty.

personaly not happy about the idea

you have the full weight off the tank + worktop+the cupboard contents on the 4/6 plastic legs

if you have 30mm spare along the run i would seperate the base unit and introduce an end panel/melamane board 1mm higher than the surrounding units each side and screw to the units

Thanks for the replies - although it is a 80 litre tank the water load would be less as it would have things like filter, gravel (which i would consider using less of but probably wont really effect the weight that much), taken up some space. ive tried looking find how much exactly the weight would be - and looking at one mentioning how much a 54 litre one would weigh including the tank it is somethign like 80kg so from that i make it just under 120kg or at the most just over 18stones :oops: Im trying to remember if my kitchen fitter put wooden braces underneath (dont know if that makes any difference) as i know he did on the rest of the kithen - the fishtank is basically in the alcove next the chimney breast. but i guess its given me some food for though so might now consider a slightly smaller size - 70 litres instead.
I will say the cupboard in question doesnt hold that much - things like food processor, lots of plastic storage jars a majority empty - and a coupld of storage jars that have things like rice and pasta in - in theory a wasted cupboard but i guess every weighs something.

once again thanks

Thanks for the replies - although it is a 80 litre tank the water load would be less as it would have things like filter, gravel (which i would consider using less of but probably wont really effect the weight that much), taken up some space.

if it floats its lighter than water if it sinks its heavier than water :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back