Heat resistant paint - sold a dud I think

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have a Stovax woodburner and recently touched up the fire cement over the rope where the pipe joins the stove.
Hubby went up to the ironmongers asking for stove paint and was given heat resistant paint. Which he has painted over the cement.
When we fired it up today, it got to the low running temp (which is about 250 - 300 C for this model) and the chemical smell was very overpowering.
On reading the back of the tin, it says it is heat resistant up to 220C - so obviously isn't heat resistant enough.
Any tips on how to remove this paint so we can redo?
It is Rustins Quick Dry Heat Resistant Black Paint Matt Finish
Thanks in advance
Eminem

Sponsored Links
Something like http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_175718_langId_-1_categoryId_165495?

I would run the stove for a while to thoroughly dry and bake the paint that's on there, then clean any loose stuff off with a wire brush before re-painting.

Years ago, we used to paint the smokebox of a steam boiler with ordinary household black gloss paint, then get a good fire going before it dried. That used to bake it onto the metal a treat, leaving a semi-gloss finish. If the paint dried before the smokebox got really hot, it would just blister and peel off.

The fumes coming off the cooking paint meant it wasn't something to try indoors! :eek:

You'll find the paint will crack and peel over time - hastened all the while with treatment from a wire brush :p
Morso and Stovax both supply touch up paint which will withstand very high temperatures, but it will pong for quite a while after.
My Morso stove was installed in the summer and has been lit numerous times since - but it still pongs when lit after its been dormant for a while.
You can buy black fire cement which solves your situation..... ;)
John :)

Thanks TicklyT
Unfortunately we weren't aware that the paint wasn't heat resistant enough until we got the bad smell - and the stove is in the dining room so the smell is already indoors ;)

Should we just leave the paint on there? I thought maybe we would need to remove the paint so we could re-do?
Will the smell lessen if we run the stove hot for the evening?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Burnerman.
We have MANY wire brushes from cleaning the old bricks on the fireplace - we will keep at it like that.
And thanks for the tip about the fire cement! I will send him out to get some this weekend - and in the meantime will keep the windows open and the fire burning!
Cheers
Eminem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back