Heated Towel Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I am intending to install a wet towel rad with an electric heating elemnt for summer use. I know that the element needs connecting through a fused spur. I want to connect the element also to a timer so that I can control when its on. My local electrical suppiler sold me a timer and the instructions state that the maximum lighting load is 200W. Does this mean that the maxium load no matter what the source, lighting or otherwise is 200W? If so this will limit the size if element I can buy. Also does the order of wiring matter? For example, I intend to take a supr from a socket on the landing and place the timer and the fused spur box next to the socket outside of the bathroom, but do I wire it socket > timer > fused spur > element or Socket > fused spur > timer > element? Or does it not matter.

The timer is a Grasslin socket timer, 16 [8] A capacity at 240 V AC - least thats what is says on the box.

Advice please!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Timers are normally rated for resistive and inductive loads, your application is resistive. For example, I had one a couple of weeks ago rated at 10A for inductive and 16A for resistive loads. 200w seems very low for a timer though.
Place the timer after the fused spur otherwise you'll have it connected directly to a 32A supply.
Don't forget supplementary equipotential bonding (if the heated rad is placed in zone 1, 2 or 3) and part p.

You can get a fused spur and a timer combined into one single unit which fits onto a standard one gang backbox. This may be a more suitable alternative for you.

So I take it the timer is OK to use? Is there a max W for the element I should use?

Also, how do I know if the bonding strips are actually all connected and doing the job they should? Is there some kind of test?

B

Heated Towel Radiator
As you can see, bbtags don't work in topic titles.

My local electrical suppiler sold me a timer and the instructions state that the maximum lighting load is 200W.
If the instructions say that then the timer is unsuitable for powering an appliance rated at more than 200W.

Does this mean that the maxium load no matter what the source, lighting or otherwise is 200W?
Yes.

If so this will limit the size if element I can buy.
Yes, but there are ample towel warmers that need no more than 200W.

Also does the order of wiring matter?
Only in terms of best practice.

For example, I intend to take a supr from a socket on the landing and place the timer and the fused spur box next to the socket outside of the bathroom, but do I wire it socket > timer > fused spur > element...
Preferably not.

...or Socket > fused spur > timer > element?
Better, however, is the socket on a ring, or radial, or it already a spur?

The timer is a Grasslin socket timer, 16 [8] A capacity at 240 V AC - least thats what is says on the box.
That conflicts with the instructions. What does it say on the device itself?

Also, how do I know if the bonding strips are actually all connected and doing the job they should?
Do you have some reason to question their efficacy?

Is there some kind of test?
Yes, using equipment that you're unlikely to have.

If you seriously suspect the safety of your installation then you should engage a registered electrician to conduct a PIR and issue a certificate if it passes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back