Heated towel rail drip and blister...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be getting a professional opinion on this, but would be good to know what questions to ask and the possible outcomes...

This is a slow drip - not figured out how slow, but something like a drip an hour. I don't *think* it's been happening very long, and suspect it may have been triggered by recently getting the boiler repaired so it actually holds 2 bar of pressure, was running at 0 bar for I don't know how long. However that rust spot presumably hasn't happened overnight.

Radiator bleed water is clean. No signs of similar issues on any other radiators.

I'm assuming we want to replace the towel rail, but if a repair's an option that'd be good.

Attachments

• Image-12.jpg
    Image-12.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 196
Sponsored Links
Not really, only repair would be to drain it and weld it but that's a farf.

Time to replace methinks.

you would be best to isolate and drain that until you get the replacement, I have seen them getting very bad very quickly when they pinhole like that

Sponsored Links
Yeah, was getting nervous as it seemed to be speeding up slightly. Still drips per hour, but didn't like it. Have isolated and opened bleed valve to depressurise, so at least it doesn't have hot 2 bar water running through it. Not sure I'm up to draining it, will keep a weather eye on it and see when we can get a plumber booked in.

Speaking of which, any thoughts on cost to replace? 1800x600, can get similar models on Plumbase for just under £100. Only quote so far was £340 Inc vat supply and fit, seemed high.

You're a diyer... Anything you can't do yourself and have to pay someone to do will always "seem" expensive.

More comfortable with a drill and hammer than a pipe wrench and PTFE tape though. Or I'd not be hesitating before draining the thing.

Got it replaced for £168 supply and fit, 1600x600 chrome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back