Rust and leaks on towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I noticed a rust mark on the Blenheim white towel rail we purchased 12 years ago.

A couple of days later I noticed another rust mark, quite close to the first. It would appear the welded joints are suddenly failing and allowing water out, although this is currently a very slow process and I assume it happens during the night when the towel rail is cold.

From your experience, any idea what might cause this to suddenly start to happen? It seems strange that two areas have failed within a week.

Is it likely that this issue will result in a "catastrophic" failure, whereby these "holes" will suddenly get much larger and water will spurt out? Just trying to gauge how long I have (days, weeks or months) to replace the towel rail.

View media item 105462
View media item 105463

Sponsored Links
Anyone's guess ,but I would suspect sooner rather than later. Close both valves to rad and drain it until you can replace. Better safe than sorry!!

Is it connected to your central,heating, or does it have an electric element?

I blame a rusty towel rail for a period when my central heating water was extremely dirty. If this is on your CH system, do you have a magnetic filter? When replacing it, check the colour of the water and consider flushing.

Sponsored Links
Is it connected to your central,heating, or does it have an electric element?

I blame a rusty towel rail for a period when my central heating water was extremely dirty. If this is on your CH system, do you have a magnetic filter? When replacing it, check the colour of the water and consider flushing.

Yes, it is connected to the central heating and it also has an electric element, which is only used during the Summer months.

The CH system does have a magnaclean fitted. I am planning to partially drain the system (upstairs only) in a couple of weeks when our bathroom has been tiled so that I can fit and connect up a new towel rail, so was thinking I could replace this one at the same time. Just not sure if the rust spots will last that long before getting much worse.

We are also having some work done on the CH to connect up a new bathroom manifold and install a LLH in 3 weeks, which will require the whole system to be drained down. So I have two opportunities coming up, although I was thinking about draining the system down when I fit the new bathroom towel rail and adding a cleaner to the water when refilling, which would then be flushed out the following week when the heating engineer does his work.

Is it normal for towel rails to only last 12 years? I believe this one had a 10 year warranty but obviously it is outside of that. Our radiators have lasted 22 years since the house was built and no sign of rust on those!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back