HEATING AN INSULATED SHED??

fan heaters can be between 1500- 3000w
they can have several speed settings including cold [just the fan]
and thermostatically controlled

the two i have are 2700w
the settings are cold 1[half] and 2[ full]power
they are thermostatically controlled from as low as 3% as a frost setting up to around 27 degrees

oil filled radiators have a time delay before giving out heat as you have to warm up the mass off the radiator and oil so acting like a storage heater
a fan is instant full heat instantly and no heat when you turn it off

a fan heater will warm up an area far quicker than any other form off electric heating and more efficiently but just when quick change off temperature are required as it has no time delay before giving out heat

a fan heater doesn't loose heat when turned off it just stops giving out heat
now the oil filled radiator will off course still be giving out heat but that's just heat that has been stored warming up the radiator rather than the room

and all electric heaters will give out the same amount off heat per kwh regardless off claims cheap to run = less heat output
100% means as efficient as any electric heater
and personally i wouldn't leave a fan heater unattended unless its a quality one with a thermal cut out in case the fan gets blocked or fails

Sponsored Links
Hi Big-All

Coming from a life in Electronics your spot on regarding emitted power.

If a unit uses 1kw its not going to give 1.1kw.

We can however help it by making our insulation as efficient as possible.
I opted for the 75mm polystyrene due to budget reasons. I'd like to use the celotex but i've got such a massive area to cover.

Thanks for the advice :)

Ron

and just to clear things up if you want background heat on when your not there then oil filled radiators are perfect as failure wont cause a fire

but if you choose both a oil and a fan heater you will have to spec accordingly or turn the oil off whilst using the fan if the combined wattage exceeds the supply at say 13amps/3000w

My wallet has just walked out the door!
My original plan to burn only 1kw per day was indeed a fantasy, lol!

The information gained from these posts have been incredibly helpful, not only to me but others seeking this info.

Big-All
Those fan heaters are a worry i agree, i'll bare in mind the safety and wattage used on the system.

Its amazing how they build flats these days. They are building 3 story flats next door to our house, all wood wood wood (See Pics taken from our bathroom window).

Cheers!
Ron

Sponsored Links
Another Heat Source are those 400W Ceramic Wall Plates.
The reviews are good but again you only get out what you put in.

Going back years, we had a pretty large bedroom in our house and found that Blow Heaters & Convection Heaters always gave the best result. There was a storage heater but it was pointless.

Cheers
Ron

have you thought about air or ground sourced heat pumps they have an efficiency closer to mains gas at around 1/3 or 1kw in to 3kw out

Hi Big-All

I love the ground sourced heat pumps, free natural heat straight from the ground but i've not heard of the air based one's, i'll look it up now.

If i owned a fair amount of ground i'd certainly give it a try as i'm sure most of us would. I have a long garden but not ideal that that kind of project, although its a wonderful idea.

Ron :)

There's a good range of aircon units from reputable manufacturers for less than £1k with around 5kw output in heating.
Most are pre charged for about 7 meters so an easy commissioning job.

You have Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Toshiba, Daikin, Fugitsu, Panasonic, Hitachi off the top of my head.
And plenty 3.5 kw units for around £500 quid.

29sqm is a fairly small area so 3.5 should do it with the right insulation.

Hi Norcon

Thanks for that, £500 i can live with.

However i noticed that some require 1kw to run, i know this is not required all the time but would still work out a fair cost at the end of every month.

My brother inlaw who has the 50sqm shed with the snooker table gave up on heating it, he said fan heaters did not touch it and even two gas heaters running all the time did not give great results. However the insulation is pretty poor and its a much larger shed.

Another idea is caravan central heating system, i was told the system could run for 2 days on a 6kg bottle BUT still not cost effective.

Heat costs money, no matter which way you go.

The ground pump system is most likely the most efficient, free heat from the ground, what a wonderful way to do it.

Cheers
Ron

avoid anything with a naked flame that doesn't vent to the outside you will get gallons off water from the combustion process

temperature are fairly irrelevent its the total output same as 240v 1w compared to 12v 2amp high numbers don't mean much in isolation
i would suspect your talking maybe 150-250w similar to a large double glazed window in direct sunlight on a winters day

Fit a woodstove. Will be toasty and make a homly atmosphere.
Doesn't require a lot of wood for a dry stove.

Hi Chaps

Woodstove, funny you mentioned that norcon as a friend mentioned that also today. Thanks, i'll look a bit more into that.

In all honesty i vastly underestimated how much heat would be required to keep it at approx 16C, its a subject in itself.

Thanks again for everyone's tips.
Cheers
Ron

There's a good range of aircon units from reputable manufacturers for less than £1k with around 5kw output in heating.
Most are pre charged for about 7 meters so an easy commissioning job.

You have Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Toshiba, Daikin, Fugitsu, Panasonic, Hitachi off the top of my head.
And plenty 3.5 kw units for around £500 quid.

29sqm is a fairly small area so 3.5 should do it with the right insulation.

Not as simple as that. You will need a qualified engineer to carry out the installation

F-Gas
Full Certification
If you have not already applied for a Company Certificate you should do so immediately, without further delay. It is now a criminal offence to carry out activities that install, maintain or service stationary refrigeration, air-conditioning and/or heat pump equipment containing or designed to contain F-Gas refrigerants without a Company Certificate.

As of 4 July 2011 any business that does not hold a Full F-Gas Certificate must apply for a Stationary Equipment Qualification Company Certificate (Full Certificate) without further delay.
Refcom has developed a close working relationship with the Environment Agency (EA) to aid better compliance and more robust enforcement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back