Heating and cooling cycle makes lintel fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will heating a steel reinforced lintel every day for 6 months of the year (to over 150 celcuis) cause it to fail?

We have a very large woodburner 10Kw+ with a flue that's makes 2no 45 degree turns out of the top of the burner. The steel reinforced concrete lintel we had put in, is approx 10mm at point nearest to the flue this being on the 45 degree stretch.

The lintel is getting very hot, which is nice in a heat store sort of way...

I wonder though about the steel reinforcing bars wearing themselves loose in their concrete 'jacket'. This by their expanding and contracting at different rates to the concrete. Might the lintel eventually fail if the bars are not holding the concrete fast? Its this fantasy land?

There's cracking around the ends of the lintel, in the plaster. Very fine, but pretty unsightly. This only means that the whole lintel is expanding...

The lintel is no more than about 50mm from the vertical part of the flue, so there's no point moving the lintel up (or woodburner down) any more than that.

If you are still reading- interested- we might raise the lintel though my wife thinks we should buy a smaller burner which ports the flu further back as space around woodburner would look odd- too tall.

Or, we could cut some off the legs lol!

It was signed off/commissioned by Heatas guys, in case you might ask...

When we bought it, the company spec'd the size of the opening but did not notice (!) the flue coming dead centre out of the top of the boiler. Burner would not then fit.
So instructed us to fit lintel higher to current position.. which brings us to this point.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I can't see it being a big issue. The thermal expansion coefficients of steel and concrete are actually quite similar, so the difference in expansion between the two materials will be a fraction of a millimetre per metre, and that's before you take into account the bond between the two materials.

Interestingly, steel is actually stronger up to around 200 degrees C than it is at room temperature.

Thermal effects are designed for in buildings in hot countries and in RC chimneys etc where additional reinforcement is provided to restrain the concrete.

You might have a bit of thermal expansion along the length of the lintel but I don't see it failing - it's probably over specced anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back