Heating boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to select a heating boiler for updating some systems. They are on open vented y and s plans. So far I have gone with combis and system boilers but would like an open vented heating boiler alternative. Anyone have an suggestions ?
I have worked on the HXI in the past and found them good as long as the system is clean but it has been nearly 2 years since Ive touched them.

Thanks Andsam.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant E series are open vented, quite cheap too. Fitted quite a few with no problems. Need a separate bypass is all TRV's on system. Boulter & Viessmann also make HE open vented boilers but I've no experience of them.

Are the vaillant open vented boilers the HXI badged as a Vaillant?

Has anyone had experience with the Veissmann?

No, they are very similar though. Same h/e, burner and user interface I think, but the HXI has more plastic inside it.

The Vaillant can be obtained at many merchants for just over £600 including flue, less if you buy a few of them. Go for that!

Viessmann can be hard to get, and parts hard to get. They look pretty neat though.

Sponsored Links
Keston celcius 25, perhaps surprisingly has an o-v option.

Thanks for the advice. The Vaillant looks a good boiler but could be a bit pricey, but I am looking for reliability ,availability of parts as well as price.I would be interested in the Veissmann as I have read alot about them but Im concerened about parts availability. Does anyone know if they have there own work force or do they have service agents as this is something I would be interested in.

Aside from the HXI, the Vaillant will be the cheapest of all the boilers we've discussed here.

I had a Vaillant EcoMax Pro 18 fitted 18 months ago and reckon its a great boiler.

Reason i chose it apart from generally good reviews from sites like this, is the 2 year warranty they give - if they are confident to offer this then they must be pretty good eh ?

There is a specific 'Viessmann Lite' model designed for the UK market (open vent systems, awful controls, uninformed users, misleading installers - did I really say that?, ...),

It's got the Viessmann stainless steel heat exchanger and appears reasonable build-quality but has virtually none of the excellent control gear normally found on Viessmann. Oh - nearly forgot - not too expensive!

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

Has anyone come across the potterton/baxi boilers. I worked on the Barcelona (I think it was called that) a few years ago and I remember it causing some probs. Have they improved ? Maybe gasthepottertonengineer could help.

At the moment its looking like either the Vaillant or Glowworm.

A word of warning from an installer, if you have to call out Keston service engineers (which you will trust me) then make sure the customer dosnt miss the appointment, mine did & Keston kindly sent me a bill for £82-25 call out charge, so i sent them an invoice for the several in warrenty visits i made to repair there crappy boilers.
Up until about a year ago Keston boilers wernt to bad, but recently i have has a lot of problems with faulty ignition & very noisy burners, i will not be installing any more despite the flexibe flue system.

PS. if your reading this Keston then start looking after the installers, no installers = no Keston

Rant over!!!!!

ACOperson said:
Vaillant E series are open vented, quite cheap too. Fitted quite a few with no problems. Need a separate bypass is all TRV's on system. Boulter & Viessmann also make HE open vented boilers but I've no experience of them.

E series???

Ecotec Plus 400 series are the open vent, 600 series are system boilers, 800 series are combis and 900 series storage combi ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back