heating control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my old honeywell sliding controller (Y plan) with a new room thermostatic programmer. The heating system is 20+ years old, but I cant afford to replace it yet. I do want to make it much more efficient though, and bring the controls downstairs. At the moment, the controls are all upstairs (theres a stat too) in the back bedroom.

I need a timer for the hot water, and the thermo prog for the heating.

Is it possible to seperate the two functions? Can I just use a basic timer for the hot water in the airing cupboard?

I'm looking at:

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-cmt907-7-day-programmerable-room-thermostat/

and:

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-st9100c-7-day-single-channel-programmer-/

Would these be compatible and work with my old Y plan? Given a wiring plan I can work out what wires go where. ;)

Also given this controls a gas boiler, am I allowed to do this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could replace the current roomstat with a programmable roomstat, but not replace the current timer with it.

Would said product enable various programmed temperatures for the central heating, as well as override functions to tell the system if I'm in or out when I wouldnt normally be (as the honeywell I linked to does) and seperate timed programmes for the hot water?

Can you provide a link?

EDIT:

bgm, you edited your post.

So are you saying I could leave the old programmer on constant for heating, and use the thermostat cable to feed the new room programmer?

Then use the old programmer to control just the hot water.

This makes sense.

Can I do this myself?

So are you saying I could leave the old programmer on constant for heating,
Yes.

and use the thermostat cable to feed the new room programmer?
Only if it is a purely batteru operated model.

Then use the old programmer to control just the hot water.
Yes

Can I do this myself?
Legally speaking, you can pretty much do what you want in your own house as long as you are competent to do so safely and comply with all the regs in terms of how you do the work

Sponsored Links
a programmable stat for heating and single channel for hot water is fine. I do this on multi zone systems as standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back