heating element hot tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help me, my hot tub keeps tripping when the heating cycle comes on, is there a way of just checking the heating element, I have a multi meter, is it is simple as checking the resistance or is it more complicated, I don't really understand how circuit breakers work. The hot tub company wants silly money to come out and check it.
Thanks Tim

Sponsored Links
No. You need to IR test the element to make sure it is not leaking.

Is it the mcb or rcd that is tripping?

I take it you mean the rcd trips?

The rcd tripping would indicate ther is a problem, since it trips when the element comes on that would imply its the element that has a problem. a normal meter wil not be able to tell if there is a problem. you need an insulation resistace meter.

That sauis, dissconect the heater, isollate the connections and tun everything else on, if the rcd does not trip guess what the problem is

Look at the thing that trips. What is written on it (all the letters and all the numbers) Give us a photo if you can.

What other appliances stop working when it trips?

Do you know the power of the heating element?

BTW an electrical fault on a spa bath can be very dangerous. Do not use it until fixed. Was the electrical installation done by a proper electrician?

Sponsored Links
If its the mcb tripping then you have a short circuit(current overload) if its the rcd then its earth leakage, isolate circuit and disconnect element, find the wattage rating of the element for example 3kw divide this figure by 230 will give you the amp draw in this example 13 amps then divide by 230= 17.6 ohlms. using a multimeter set on ohms measure across the disconnected element for resistance in this example approx 17.5 ohlms.if its the rcd is tripping then using a meggar measure both terminals on at least a 20 meg setting with fly leads one connected to earth and one to live,then one to neutral and one to live,ideally on 20 meg setting your looking for an infinate reading on a digital meter,are full deflection on analogue.any reading below this would suggest a brake down in the insulation thus causing the rcd to trip.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sorry megger testing one lead to earth and one to neutral,then one to live and one to earth

that's true, but of no use o the op since they dont have a clue, which is why they are asking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back