hot tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help me, I posted a problem a couple of weeks ago and have tried some of the ideas given but not had much luck, my hot tub trips when the heating comes on, I have taken the unit to bits and removed the heating element and had it tested, I was told it is fine, I have put it back but it still trips, if I diconnect the two wires the heating light come on the control pane and it does not trip, but immediately I connect it up again it trips, any ideas? would be very grateful, there is not a dealer for this make anywhwre near me and it will cost a furtune, is it something a good electrician can sort out or will I need someone from the hot tub comapny?
Thanks Tim

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't trip with the heater element disconnected and does trip with the heater connected then it a near certainty that the heater element is the problem.

Is the element wet when in use ( meaning in direct contact with water )

What is tripping MCB or RCD ?

How was the element tested ? If tested with a normal multi-meter it may show as OK because the meter puts less than 10 volts on the element and this may not be enough to make the fault effective.

JohnD on 6th Jan on your previous post said:
Look at the thing that trips. What is written on it (all the letters and all the numbers) Give us a photo if you can.

What other appliances stop working when it trips?

Do you know the power of the heating element?

BTW an electrical fault on a spa bath can be very dangerous. Do not use it until fixed. Was the electrical installation done by a proper electrician?

Sponsored Links
Ok hear goes, it says on the side 2.0kw 240v 15" 2"825m7tuv then 58063tov200304280022 made by balboa
I am not sure what type of trip switch it is the box says ip30 make legrand 30 mA, when the heating comes on the pump is also on but is just pumping the water at a low flow, I have measured the ohms at 30, is there any other info that would help

your description is that of an rcd in a box.

since it trips when the element is conected it is the element at fault

it may show 30 ohms, that is between the connections, i suspect it has a fault to eath, which most meters will not detect.

it needs to have an insulation resistance test done it

Where did you disconnect the element? If it was at the element itself then it could be the cable or wires to the element

I disconnected it at the element itself, it connected via two very small copper contacts which attach to the circuit board, I have now connected the heating element straight to a socket and it is now not tripping, but I realise that I can't do this all the time as I am by passing the trip switch, does anyone know why it is working ok now, could it be the circuit board, I hope not.
Thanks

your hot tub has rcd protection, doe the socket have rcd protection?

paz7330 said:
I have now connected the heating element straight to a socket and it is now not tripping, but I realise that I can't do this all the time as I am by passing the trip switch, does anyone know why it is working ok now, could it be the circuit board, I hope not.
Thanks

Did you put an earth connection to the heating element when connected to the socket ?

If not then any live ( or neutral ) short to the metal case of the element will NOT trip the RCD as the there is no path to earth from the case of the element.

That case could be live at 230 volts if not earthed. DANGEROUS to touch.

No, I haven't earthed it, but I will and see if it then trips, I realize it is dangerous so I have not left it on. Could the rcd be at fault? it has a test button on it, what does this do?
Thanks

paz7330 said:
No, I haven't earthed it, but I will and see if it then trips, I realize it is dangerous so I have not left it on. Could the rcd be at fault? it has a test button on it, what does this do?
Thanks

TAKE CARE if you must prove that element is faulty this way.

No the RCD is not faulty otherwise it would not trip when the elevment wa powered with the earth connected to it.

The test button connects a resistor from LIVE after the sensor to NEUTRAL before the sensor. Current in the resistor goes through the sensor on the LIVE wire but does not return through the sensor on the NEUTRAL wire so the sensor has an un-balance which makes it trip.

No, it didn't trip, put it on the lottery and give me half if you win. I am now very confused, it is heating the water perfectly, the haeting light on the control panel is lit but obviously the power is coming from my connection, any ideas what I should try now??
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back