Hot Tub Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I wonder if you would be able to help me with a problem with our hot tub.

We have had our hot tub for about a year and a half and everything has worked fine. But last week the mcb to the hot tub kept tripping and I'm not sure why.

When you reset the mcb the hot tub will have power and all the jets etc work fine, but when it has finished it's priming cycle and (I assume) the motor kicks in the mcb trips out.

Do you think the motor might be faulty, or could there be another reason. Any advise would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
What size/type of cable has the hot tub been installed on? Is it on its own circuit?

What is its power rating of the hot tub? What size is the MCB protecting the circuit?

Was there any paperwork supplied when you had it installed?

Much more info needed! If you can post a pic of your CU then this would also help. ;)

He said
We have had our hot tub for about a year and a half and everything has worked fine. But last week the mcb to the hot tub kept tripping and I'm not sure why.
Bongos, so that would imply the problem is not due to overload!

Are you absolutley sure the thing that trips is an MCB?
Perhaps it is an RCD or RCBO.

Does it have a test button on it? what is written on it?
Does it say BS61009-1 or BS61008-1??
Post a picture.

Sponsored Links
The device which is tripping is an RCBO which is an MCB combined with an RCD.
This means the problem could be associated with an earth leakage as opposed to an overcurrent.
I take it the motor works during priming?
Could be the heating element has gone down.

btw whoever installed the main consumer unit needs to look at section 314 of the regs - it doesn't comply having all the lights and sockets on a single RCD.
It wouldn't have been rocket science to put lights on RCBOs on the other side of the board.

Those are RCBOs, not MCBs, and they combine the function of an RCD and MCB into a single unit. Chances are that water/dampness has worked its way into some electrical part in the hot tub, causing an earth fault and the RCBO to trip. Best not to use it at all until you can get it checked over and sorted out.

That device is an RCBO, so the problem is most likely an earth fault within the hot tub. Probably the heating element.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply.

I have arranged for an electrician to take a look.

sparky123 how can you say the installation doesn`t comply when you know nothing about the installation, at least ask questions before slagging off someone elses work....how do you know it doesn`t comply?????

Do you think that complies with section 314 of the regs sparkysm?

Just an update

I have now found that the problem was due to a faulty ozone generator.

Thank you for your help and advise. :D

Hi Spark123,

I had a word with my electrician regarding your comments about the new consumer unit.

I won't print everything he said, as there could be children reading this. But his main point was the each of the curcuits is protected by an RCBO and this meets all relevant regs.

Hi Spark123,

I had a word with my electrician regarding your comments about the new consumer unit.

I won't print everything he said, as there could be children reading this. But his main point was the each of the curcuits is protected by an RCBO and this meets all relevant regs.

Sorry, but your electrician seems to be talking bull, as the main fuse box picture does not show ANY RCBOs at all. It's a split load board with a single RCD and main switch, and there is almost no way to install one of these (without RCBOs) and have a compliant installation since the 17th edition of BS7671 came into force.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back