Heating in a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I install (or get installed) radiators to heat my loft conversion as part of my existing system? The 2 tanks (CH and Cold Water tank) are on the same level so I assume they would need to be raised but could the existing pump raise the water level so high?

Sponsored Links
You probably need to convert you heating system to a closed system. You basically replace the feed and expansion tank with a pressurisation unit. This consists of a small break tank feeding a small pressure pump which fills the system via a check valve. The pump is controlled by a pressure switch, usually set at around 1 bar. In order to cater for expansion when the water in the system heats up, there is also an expansion vessel downstream of the pump. All of the above is usually mounted in single unit. Your local plumbers merchant should have more details. If you are not happy to install one yourself (not difficult if you have reasonable plumbing skills) you could always get a heating firm to do it for you.

This would increase the pressure in the system sufficiently to allow you install radiators in you loft conversion.

You're welcome - I forgot to add that if you convert to a closed system you should add a second Pressure Relief Valve set no higher than 3 bar. This would be in addition to the one normally located within, or close to, the boiler.

Good luck, and post back with details of how you got on.

Sponsored Links
Alternatively, you could convert to a closed system by adding an expansion vessel, safety valve (pressure relief valve) and filling the system using mains water pressure. For this you would need a filling loop with an integral double check valve, and a mains water supply close to the boiler. You still cap off the feed and expansion tank in the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back