Heating is staying on longer than it should!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

first post here so please forgive me! Also, many thanks in advance for your help!

The problem is, my gas central heating seems to be staying on longer than required. Digital display will read 20c for example and the heating with stay on and hot until I switch it off at the mains. Little flame on the display that indicates heating has kicked in does not display past the tempeartaure I have set it at, but the heating just carries on! I think it has been coming on in the night also as sometimes I get up and the rads are hot, even though they shouldn't be. It seems the little green light on the Altech switch below the bolier comes on and stays on which I think indicates the heating is on and has kicked in.

I don't get any error messages with the light blinking - it is constant. The manual says the light should flash if there is a probelm?!

This has only been happening very recently. My hot water is fine, radiators all hot apart from one which only really gets hot at the bottom and not the top. The closest radiator to the bolier.

Any ideas..? Not sure what to do!

I have:

Bolier: Worcester Greenstart 24i Junior Combi Mark 4
Altech switch below boiler with red and green lights on.
Altech digital display in the dining room.

Thanks again, Damien.

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler located in an unheated location, a Garage, outhouse boiler room for example?

I suspect that a Frost protection Thermostat is doing it's job and overiding the room control (to prevent freezing of the boiler/pipe work ;)

Hi,

the bolier is in the bathroom, upstairs.

I just realised that the controller downstairs was wireless and the switch upstairs under my boiler is connected to it wirelessly...doh!

I have just had them both off the wall and changed the RF channel - I guess similar to what I would do to my wireless internet if I had inteference. it was set to the factory default..! How lazy of my plumber - even I know never to set up anything wireless factory default!

I'm not sure if it is the frost control, as it has been doing it through the day time also when temps have not dropped below 7-8c - you are the expert though, not me! ;)

I will see how the channel change gets on. I am considering changing the position of the remote panel too as it is in the dining room and the walls in my victorian house are solid brick..! Not sure if that would be a problem though..?

I had this before is its the control with dip switches to change frequency?

I bet your neighbour has the same control also set to default

The one I had was working fine for a couple of months til next door got a new boiler ;)

Sponsored Links
The model is Altech ALTHC015. (Yes, 5 dip switches)

I am led to believe that these are not all that good..!

Oh well...it's in now and has been for a while!

Been about an hour since I changed the RF channel...so far so good :LOL:

Hi, just logged into the forum after my boiler was 'mysteriously' firing up even though my thermostat was not transmitting. Had a look around and seen that my neighbour (about 30 meters away) had a new boiler. Changed my settings on both the transmitter and the receiver.
Transmitter - I removed pin 2
Receiver - I changed pin 2 position to the opposite of everything else.

Hey presto as the cheap engineer in me says, and my boiler is now only reacting to my thermostat.

Brilliant, and thank you. Hope the explanation helps.

Wow...just had an email to say this thread had been added to!

Since I changed the pins I have not had a problem - so if anyone else is having similar issues, I think we have clearly established the problem!

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back