Heating leak. Boiler or pipes?

ik1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can advise or point me in the right direction regarding an issue I am having.

I have Worcester 440cdi boiler which was installed about 7 years ago.

The house was fully renovated with new plumbing. Initially everything was fine but after about 2-3 years the boiler started losing pressure to a point where it would be completely empty overnight and I would refill it via the filling loop. I found a leak which was fixed. That was fine until last year where the boiler is losing pressure gradually so it can take about 3-4 weeks to lose 1 bar of pressure. Again fill it with the filling loop and the pressure doesn't drop too much if the heating is not on but when the heating is on the pressure drops after few weeks by about 0.5-1 bar.

I was advised by someone in test by closing the flow and return pipes to see if the boiler lost any pressure and I left this for a week and there was barely any pressure lost and the pressure seems to be going down more when I use the heating it starts losing pressure again.

Now I can't seen any stains on any walls, I have laminate downstairs so can't easily tell if there is a leak under the concrete.

So my question is has anyone faced any similar problems? Or any good tradesmen / company (I am in the West Midlands) who can pinpoint the problem. I also heard there is way to pump gas into the heating system which can detect tiny leaks via the escaping gas. So ideally I am after someone who is expert in finding the problem whether its the boiler or the pipes. I certainly don't want to just dig up the floor without being sort of 95-99% sure of the issue.

I hope this makes sense and if anyone can help or point me towards someone who is capable of finding a solution to my problem please let me know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A good old beasty floor standing Hiflow boiler. When the CH is on and it all warms up, how does the pressure gauge react, does it climb up to the 2.5>3 region? Outside there should be a pressure relief pipe, a bit of copper pipe turning back towards the wall, possibly under the flue (if not vertical) towards the ground, check that for water/drips.

Sounds like you want to get a good reputable local chap, that knows these boilers, in to service it. When was it serviced last?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back