Heating only getting to 42deg

Sponsored Links
If it's exactly 42 every time Dan is right that's what it was set to before it snapped

Does a dial count as a moving part Dan?

Indeed.... something the Mighty Gash is not afflicted with. Also, I've never known an IG PCB go pop simply because the service engineer had the front to power the boiler off with its own power button. Something Vaillant and Wooshitter, and Glowworm (AKA Vaillant) manage with complete aplomb.

Sponsored Links
Rather than fiddle with the knob, its easier to swing down the controls box and open the rear half of the cover and see if the knob is turning the potentiometer on the PCB.

If not then its easy to turn the pot from the back and replace the knob later if you can be bothered to.

Tony

Rather than fiddle with the knob, its easier to swing down the controls box and open the rear half of the cover and see if the knob is turning the potentiometer on the PCB.

If not then its easy to turn the pot from the back and replace the knob later if you can be bothered to.

Tony
Easier to look at D.5 and see if the figure goes up & down when turning the heating knob

Yes that's true.

But it does not then provide any workaround fix if the spindle is snapped as seems likely!

Tony

The spindle is not snapped. That was the first thing i checked. Is there a setting that will stop the heating getting any hotter that i could try adjusting up?

The spindle is not snapped. That was the first thing i checked. Is there a setting that will stop the heating getting any hotter that i could try adjusting up?
As I mentioned earlier, has the boiler got an internal time clock?

If you know how to get to the D codes, check D.9 and D.5 and report back

OK, the maximum heating temperature is being limited either by Vaillant controls wired to the boiler like a wireless programmable room thermostat, a weather compensator, or there is a fault with the PCB. If third party (non-Vaillant) controls are wired correctly D.9 will always display 90C. In your case even turning the heating knob to maximum will still result in 49C maximum flow temperature. Saying that your D.5 figure indicates the knob is set to minimum anyway...

I thought it was the pcb myself so i bought a used one off ebay but have to same fault(was said to be in perfect order). I do not have a room stat. The stat terminals are just linked out. D5 goes up to 82 when heating turned up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back