Heating Wiring problem....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if anyone can help with my conventional heating wiring. The CH will only come once the HW is on.
It is a conventional system (gas boiler & a hot water tank).
Boiler - Glow Worm 24hxi (1 yo)
Tank - white old standard copper
Room Thermostat - Horstmann DRT2 (1 week old)
Timer - U/K make digital (6 yo)
3 port valve - Siemens (1 yo).

The system has always been the same and I just feel that the CH should work independently from the HW however CH will only if the HW is on.. However HW will work independently regardless of CH being on or off.
Most of the system is pretty and works fine, I jut feel its has been wired up incorrectly.
Can anyone help at all!

Regards

Matt

Sponsored Links
Furthermore to re-enforce my suspicions of a dodgy circuit, if you pull the plug out for the boiler and touch the pins you get an electric shock. I measured the plug pins when unplugged and it displays 240v!!

Some how 240v is bring fed from the circuit down though the boiler and into the boiler plug!!

Very strange!!

Indeed, system has been wired incorrectly. Not only that, it might not have been converted plumbing wise- I would check if the water in the header tank is cold when HW demand is on.

If above fine, then alteration of wiring will be easy enough to permit independent operation of HW and CH. Switching the power off at the spur must isolate ALL the controls.

Thanks, I will take a look later.. Take presume the water in the heading tank should be cold?

Sponsored Links
With HW on, header tank water should be cold. Same with CH on.

Checked the header tank.. Appears water is always cold... Any idea where I could get wiring diagram?

Furthermore to re-enforce my suspicions of a dodgy circuit, if you pull the plug out for the boiler and touch the pins you get an electric shock. I measured the plug pins when unplugged and it displays 240v!!

Some how 240v is bring fed from the circuit down though the boiler and into the boiler plug!!

Very strange!!

Very dangerous more like!
some one has probably fed the wiring centre via another circuit, it needs sorting

as for wiring diagrams, google Yplan, then press the images button

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back