Heating works, hot water doesnt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, cannot find the answer i need elsewhere on the forum,so here goes......

I have a Glowworm MK 11 boiler which is 26 years old. (located in the kitchen). House heats up great, but after a while we started to lose more and more hot water until finally none at all. But still all rads were working great and house very warm.

The pipe leading to the middle part of the cylinder upstairs (directly above the boiler) was hot at the floorboards but further up the pipe, it got cooler and cooler until no heat at all.
There is water in the pipe as i loostened off the cap (at the cold end) leading into the cylinder.So no blockage i assume?? Also there is no valve to release any trapped air.

I located the motoized valve but couldnt locate the pump as its hidden under the floorboards. So i inspected the motorized valve and it was opening and closing fine. This was annoying as i thought this was the real problem.

I left the boiler running on heating/water anyway, and wired up the Immersion heater and this was our source of hot water for a while. But one day by mistake i left it on for over 15 hours. I turned off the immersion and left it off, but for days after we had hot water. This turned into to weeks and months. It was as though the red hot water cleared the crap out (if any) of the system. Does this happen or can there be another explanation????

I turned the heating and water off for 2 weeks while away on hoilday. And came home to find the same problem again. House nice and warm but no hot water. Im now in the process of switching the immersion back on and leaving it for another 15 or so hours.

Im not at all plumbing/gas friendly. Can any body please help?

Do i need a powerflush?? New boiler?? new parts?? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Darryl340.

Sponsored Links
Could be gravity hot water circuit. Possible air locking or carp moving about.

it sounds like you have a gravity hot water/pumped central heating, the first check would be to see if there is water in the small header tank in the loft.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you have a gravity hot water/pumped central heating, the first check would be to see if there is water in the small header tank in the loft.

Yes water in small header tank. Although its on a shelf above the cylinder not in the loft. Any more sloutions cause im at alost cause???

there are two pipes connected to the valve, one either side. But the vavle definately was opening and closing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back