Heatline c28 condensing boiler - no central heating

Sponsored Links
You do not have to Corgi or Gas Safe registered to install or repair gas appliances.

You do if you are doing the work in a business capacity, employed or self employed.

You can do it yourself but you have to be a "competent" person.

The HSE web site does not define "competent" in relation to people doing their own gas work.

Self appointed legal expert here!

Do you have professional liability insurance in case someone takes your advice and gets into a problem and sues you?

Perhaps you dont which is why you hide your real identity?

For your first posting here you have chosen to add to a thread which ended three years ago![/img]

The law on this is written in simple English - it applies only to employees, self emplyed and organisations.

Any one else only needs to be a competent person.

And yes I have legal training.

Expert witness in 6 cases, one high profile.

Sponsored Links
Somebody I know has a degree in law and tried to manage a buyout with the other tenents of the freehold for her block of flats.

She got her estimate of costs involved badly wrong and the rest of the leaseholders sued her using a professional barrister and she lost the case and has to repay their costs and damages!

I dont know the figures involved but can imagine the total liability could be about £100,000!

You dont say why you choose to hide your identity.

Surprisingly if you are an experienced professional witness you have not answered the question about your professional indemnity insurance!

Whilst words may be clear, the interpretation of them can involve lots of argument. For anyone to do any gas work they have to be "competent". Within the industry thats usually demonstrated by holding a gas qualification.

However, regardless of YOUR interpretation of the law, the rules of this forum are totally clear that we do not give advice or encourage DIY gas work.

Gas advice can be given in the closed section of the forum for RGIs.

Tony

I have given no advice, merely quoted the law.

Please check what I say with your local Building Control. I have just checked with mine and they agree if doing the work yourself, you only need to be competent, not regisetred.

I would suggest that your first posting is in effect encouraging anyone who "thinks that they are competent" to do gas work as long as they are not being paid for it.

In my view that is wrong as its easy for somebody to do something dangerous just because they "think" that they are competent ( without actually "being" competent ).

This forum's attitude to DIY work is here:-

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8090

Thor2 before you start quoting law try reading it.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Part A paragraph 2 "work"; & Part B paragraph 3 should tell you all you need to know about competency.

Nice intro fella ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back