Heatrae Sadia Megaflo overheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help I am going round in circles with this:

Problem: safety trip cutting in on BOTH stats after heating water to beyond boiling.

Is this stat or heating element? Water is still heating so guessing it's stats and an engineer tested them and agreed. BUT forums on here suggest it may be the actual element overheating.

This is a nightmare to diagnose becasue of confusion over electrician or plumber?! :confused:

At present an unvented engineer is pricing up 2 stats for me. But I am worried they didn't electrical test the element. The element can apparently overheat on connections (stat?) and build up of scale? Am I wasting money replacing stats in first instance?

(also, unsure if relevent but there's always been a damp smell in cupboard until this overheat problem...another indication it's element?)

THANKS! :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. So I will replace the bottom stat (E7 off peak) and see if that solves the problem. I assume I is completely unrelated to the top stat, and would not cause it to trip. If it's still cutting out must be something else. :D Fingers crossed

Help again please.

I have spoken to the engineers who came out. At the time they said I'd need to replace stats (I wasn't sure they eliminated the element from the problem but I am goping with it).

Thermostats cost about £50 and I could get someone to fit that. But they have quoted me for stat and immersion approx £185? This is the first I've heard of an immersion that needs replacing.

Should I go ahead and change the stat in the first instance?

Sponsored Links
I would also go for the stat. If the bottom stat is allowing the water to overheat it may cause the top one to trip, as hot water rises.

It was the stats - both had gone :D I changed them myself, thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back