Heavy Duty Extension Lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need an extension lead to run my steam cleaner which is rated around 2kw. I tried two of the extension leads I already own, one tripped out and the other flymo one I use for the mower (without a cutout) got very hot very quickly.

I thought the Masterplug reels they have at Screwfix would be good as they are rated max load of 3.1kw but they have the same ones at B&Q and on the reel itself it says 2.4kw ??

http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-cable-reel-4g-240v-25m/54615

I guess it would do the job as it's max load rating exceeds the 2kw of the steam cleaner, but still, any thoughts? recommendations?

Sponsored Links
The more professional suppliers of 110 volt extension leads quote the wire cross section as well as a rating, so whilst a standard cable is 2.5mm2, you can also get 4.0mm2, 6.0mm2 and sometimes 10.0mm2 cables depending on the load and distance. The artic cable used is generally colour coded yellow (for 110 volt) but similar blue artic cable (for 230 volt) is available and firms like Industrial Extension Leads should be able to advise on and supply an appropriate extension cable. They lso do a plug top range if showerproof connectors are not required. Which ever way you go I highly recommend that an RCD circuit or in-line RCD breaker is used when working outdoors or with water. I've used their 110 volt extensions for a while now and they are excellent

Sponsored Links
Very odd.

I would not have assumed that the steam stripper would create a heavy initial load. It is pretty much a big kettle, and as such i would have thought the load was fairly constant.

Perhaps you need to chase it up with masterplug

http://www.masterplug.com/uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back