Hedge cutter carberetor issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been told by the repair shop I need a new carburetor for my hedge cutter at £85 plus vat.

It’s a case of just buying a new one instead, but I would prefer to clean the carb myself. Is it easy to do?

It’s a mountfield hedge cutter so about £130 in screwfix new

Sponsored Links
Personally I’d go for a replacement carb Trevor, but not a genuine one. Check out Amazon or eBay for a replacement around the 15 quid mark.
Look for identification numbers on the carb, C1Q if it’s a Zama one - but there are several other makes too.
The gaskets and diaphragms usually cost more than the carb itself, and they are pretty tricky to work on!
John

I got my carb and have fitted it this morning BUT the fuel valve is on the top side, not the bottom, so the fuel lines are stretched when in position and i am getting a leak.

The throttle cable on the opposite side comes in through the bottom, but i have had to swap it around. I wonder if i could have the throttle coming in through the top ? Prob not. So if i position it as the new carb wants to be setup the fuel will come in correctly at the bottom, but it will be the throttle which has to switch position. Not sure i can alter the throttle position.

So all the cheap carbs are set up like this, but the original one i can find on ebay is as it should be but its £40.

Im just thinking buy a new £120 machine. Seems such a waste. anyone know any easy solutions ?

Sponsored Links
Ive got my money back for my carb mostly. I dont need to return it. I will try buy a different carb with new fuel pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back