Height of C/U

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got to replace a old C/u but at the moment it sits in the down stairs loo and at the top of the wall, about 7'9"

I have no problem it being in the loo but was unsure if a new unit had to be fixed below a set height, to do with Building regs part M.

Have also looked in the BRB but found nothing to say it can't go back in the same place and also all wires come in the top, but as its so high is that OK as well??

Cheers

Lyngarth

Sponsored Links
Get an qualified electrician in who is registered with the competent persons scheme, this is too involved for a DIYer.

I am a sparky, 7 yrs with Nic but was just checking about the height as on site yesterday myself and two other sparks all come up with different answers to this.

My answer was it would be fine to keep it there and cables through the top would not mess up the ip rating, but the two others said it had to be below 1200 high to keep within the part M regs.

So thanks for your reply, and will wauit to see if any others can help.

Lyngarth

Sponsored Links
Part M or not, there is a box in the new Schedule of Inspections

It says
"Adequacy of Access to Switchgear and other equipment"

Would you feel able to tick that box with the Consumer's Unit nearly 8 ft up the wall??

Think about accessing it, in the dark. after the B6 had popped.....

but the two others said it had to be below 1200 high to keep within the part M regs.

They're wrong.

Also, Part M is an Approved Document, not regulations.
By complying with the various Approved Documents, you'll comply with the Building Regulations.

Part M or not, there is a box in the new Schedule of Inspections

It says
"Adequacy of Access to Switchgear and other equipment"

Would you feel able to tick that box with the Consumer's Unit nearly 8 ft up the wall??

It doesn't stop many so called 'Electricians' on new builds.

Also, anything that requires a step ladder would fall short with that way of thinking.

I stand corrected, on a technicallity.

He mentioned a set height. Set heights are only noted in the Approved Document, not the Building Regulations.
Also, as I said, there's no set height for a consumer unit, only common sense.

I guess I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5!

His foot was. As a 16yr old I found it soooo funny! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

He actually broke a set of cheap aluminum step ladders too. They collapsed underneath him whilst on the second step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back