U/C Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This struck me the other day while I was issuing a NTCS form for a kitchen with sockets mounted to the furniture...

The Building Regs guidance is to fix this kit to the fabric of the building.

How does this guidance relate to U/C lighting??

Sponsored Links
I guess it all come back to the debate on whether fitted kitchen cupboards are part of the building fabric or not (which has been argued to death many times on many different forums :) ).

Personally I err towards things being mounted on kitchen cupboards being ok (although not the preferred option), providing that a bit of thought has gone into the cable routing and what the implications of removing the cupboards in the future would be. (I should add that being based firmly in industrial electrics, the only domestic kitchen I'm likely to get involved with is my own :D ).

In the case of u/c lighting, provided that the switch/isolator was mounted on the wall, I can't see a problem with the lights being on the cupboards (in fact I can't see an alternative!). I've actually got u/c lights in my kitchen wired in this way. When I installed them I deliberately took the neutral into the switch backbox with the live. If I ever need to remove the cupboards it's a 2 minute job to completely disconnect the u/c lights at the switch without affecting anything else....

I'll be interested to see other opinions on this though, and fully expect to be shot down in flames... :LOL:

OK. Given that the BR do not see furniture as suitable for mounting accessories on, how are you expected to fix U/C lighting?

securespark said:
OK. Given that the BR do not see furniture as suitable for mounting accessories on, how are you expected to fix U/C lighting?

Kitchen cabinets are regarded as building fabric, not furniture. How often are most kitchens rearranged?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
The answer is obvious!

Make the wiring and lights integral to the cabinetry, run the wire up the inside of the cabinet, and fit a 5 amp socket above the cabinet (could just as easily be fitted below if required) This way, each cabinet can be taken down seperately, without interfereing with the fixed electrics! Adjoining cabinets can be connected with flex interconnect plugs, or have each cabinet plug into a different socket if required. ;) Easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back