Height of cracked screeded floor in new conservatory.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a a conservatory built. The floor was laid in two stages as they ran out of cement. They laid polystyrene and put the screed on top of this. The problem is that the gap between my interior doors threshold is only 15mm and I cannot lay the tiles I want. The floor is very powdery and I swept up 2 carrier bags of loose cement. It has also cracked in the last 6 weeks and moves slightly by my entrance door. I suspect that this is because they never excavated the path that ran alongside the front of my house. The builder insists that "The screed floor finish is generally approximately the same level as the internal to the house, and that as when a carpet is laid the doors from the house into the conservatory need to be adjusted!" I would be really grateful for any advise on all of these points please. Thanks John.

Sponsored Links
the screed should not have been laid in two parts. the least they should have done was leave a chickenwire reinforcing mesh 50/50 at the join

a screed will not 'dust' if mixed correctly. not in the slightest.

the finished screed level can be laid to any height you wish inside the conservatory, provided there is the tolerance for a decent thickness of screed. if laying a screed directly onto insulation (which i do not advocate) then the screed needs to be at least 75mm thick. or even 100mm.

the f.f.l. should have been discussed whilst at the sub-slab stage.

you as the customer a partly responsible for the hight mishap, as you should have made clear the f.f.l., did not want to correspond with existing. don't expect a 'conservatory installer' to have any common building sense.

i take it the old external doors open out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back