sub floor been laid after plastering

Ok so given that the screed is not perfectly level and varies in height from the lowest to highest point but 2-3mm will it be ok to lay the wood floor straight on the screed

Sponsored Links
I thought that a screeded floor was a 50-75mm of screed (4-1 floor mix) put on to the concrete slab and finished to the level of any existing floor level and existing openings so carpets and floor coverings could all be bought through level.

Exactly,, we always set the finished floor level from the bottom of each door frame,, which in turn, were all set at the same level. By the time each floor/room had been screeded, they were all at the same level. The only time a floor in the property was screeded at a slightly lower level was if the floor was to be tiled etc.

Ok so given that the screed is not perfectly level and varies in height from the lowest to highest point but 2-3mm will it be ok to lay the wood floor straight on the screed

If your screeded floor is within 2-3 mm , you've had a good screeder in.

I'd have thought a good underlay ( whatever you call that stuff under the timber floor :oops: ) would take that up.

Is your tank in a timber cabinet or a stand ie what will be the contact with the floor?

Am I right in thinking about 700kg weight?

Looks like the screeder did a good job then.

1 gallon weighs approc 10lb. So the water in my tank, which is about 180g, will weigh about 820Kg. On top of this there is the weight of the tank, and filters etc. There is also gravel and some rocks (higher density than water and so weigh more than water). I think i should post in the flooring section on this one

The fish tank cabinet will have a solid base in contact with the floor of 6ft x 32in (against just the upright on the floor)

Sponsored Links
My maths a bit out - (1 litre water = 1kg plus all the rest - as well as external filters being full of water) but never mind.

The footprint of the cabinet will help if the base is flat .

Perhaps it may be worth a bit of self levelling compound where the tank is going ( you'll not be moving it around much!)

To protect the floor , would you put a bit of carpet or something under the cabinet.

Off topic but -

I'd love a tank that size

I have kept a 3 foot freshwater community (with shrimp) tropical tank since early 90s, one son keeps mollies in 2 foot tank and is setting up a three foot tank now

. Other boy keeps crabs and shrimp.

It has been said in other posts of mine that this was the wrong way round but i had already had the plasterer in.
That was me & I’d still lay the screed BEFORE plastering, especially when dry lining.
I was told to chop back any excessive plaster off so that the plaster stopped about 12mm above the final floor level before the screed was laid.
That was me as well.

This i did but i didnt remove the excess of the plasterboard around the cheeks of the patio doors and also around entrance to the extension
Unfortunately at these points the plasterboard has got wet at the bottom (about 2 inches high)
You need the gap all the way around or water will wick into the plasterboard. With modern DPC/DPM there is far less chance of plaster wicking damp from the screed but it’s still a good idea to leave the gap on solid floors as it’s also a benefit if you ever flood the floor (it happens) as the water will wick up quiet a distance & if plasterboard is left damp for any length of time, it will disintegrate; lets hope yours doesn't. :cry:

My maths a bit out - (1 litre water = 1kg plus all the rest - as well as external filters being full of water) but never mind.
Ah, but it will weigh a good bit more when he puts his fish in it. (Or will it?)

The dining room in the house has a awful uneven floor (once had a outhouse type thing that has been knocked through), I am also going to replace the floor tiles in the kitchen. Given that and the fact i want the floor dead level where the fish tank goes i have decided to get a plasterer in to screen the extension, dining room and kitchen. Thanks for all your help

I have posted in the flooring section re fish tank on wood floor

The sub floor has been done for a week now. My damp meter, as expected, shows that the floor is still damp. My plasterer is free on monday, is it ok to lay the self levelling compound on the floor then or should i wait longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back