Height of internal floor too low or DPC too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting to the end of a renovation and the concrete floor screed has been laid. This is in a rear extension to the kitchen and also a new extension at the front.

There is a gap of about 3 inches between the top of the floor and the DPC level, both at the front door and at the back where we have bi-folds.

This means there will be quite a large "step over" the bi-folds when open. I've attached a couple of photos.

There's also a step at the front door which the builder says can be chopped out so it's level, but I can't see how that would be possible with the bi-folds.

It seems to me that the height of the DPC is too high or the floor is too low, but the floor is level with (what's left of) the existing house.

Ideally, I wanted as close to a flush threshold as possible.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_081214097.jpg
    IMG_20210429_081214097.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20210429_081304310.jpg
    IMG_20210429_081304310.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 321
Sponsored Links
What's stopping water comming straight under those bi-folds?

Hi,

I'm getting to the end of a renovation and the concrete floor screed has been laid. This is in a rear extension to the kitchen and also a new extension at the front.

There is a gap of about 3 inches between the top of the floor and the DPC level, both at the front door and at the back where we have bi-folds.

This means there will be quite a large "step over" the bi-folds when open. I've attached a couple of photos.

There's also a step at the front door which the builder says can be chopped out so it's level, but I can't see how that would be possible with the bi-folds.

It seems to me that the height of the DPC is too high or the floor is too low, but the floor is level with (what's left of) the existing house.

Ideally, I wanted as close to a flush threshold as possible.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

Michael

I'm sorry but that's a heap big fork up.

The position of bifolds in relation to FFL is something that should be worked out early on in the project.

A bifold threshold is usually quite thick so usually the bifolds are set below the FFL by a brick course - so the floor finish butts up pretty much to the top of the threshold.

DPC position isn't relavent as it can be stepped down at door openings.

External ground level is a factor, but if it's high, then the builder should have let you know and discussed options.

To get over the problem, the bifolds could be taken out, a course of bricks removed and the frame lowered - you would then need a trim to cover the head outside and same inside or the reveal replastered.

Good question. They're in the outer leaf of a block cavity and I assume are sealed water tight as normal. I hadn't thought about that question. How are they normally sited. Would them being this height increase water ingress?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm sorry but that's a heap big fork up.

The position of bifolds in relation to FFL is something that should be worked out early on in the project.

A bifold threshold is usually quite thick so usually the bifolds are set below the FFL by a brick course - so the floor finish butts up pretty much to the top of the threshold.

DPC position isn't relavent as it can be stepped down at door openings.

External ground level is a factor, but if it's high, then the builder should have let you know and discussed options.

To get over the problem, the bifolds could be taken out, a course of bricks removed and the frame lowered - you would then need a trim to cover the head outside and same inside or the reveal replastered.

The external ground is not high. There are 4 courses of engineering bricks.

These are "floating corner" bifolds with a big steel beam, if that makes a difference.

Update on this. Builder agreed it wasn't right. Took out the bi-folds, removed a course of bricks and re-installed. Now just have a little lip where the frame it, which I think is about right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back