Height of rear extension problems - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

we am just embarking on a refurbishment and extension of an Edwardian terrace home in London, and need help.

We are intending to do a full width 3m single storey rear extension under PD. Neither house either side has a rear extension currently. (one side has built up on what we think is the party fence wall to support a lean-to. We intend to replace this with a proper wall as part of the extension and re-attach the lean to onto the side of this.)

The intention is to have the extension as high as PD will allow - 3m at the back of the extension sloping up to 4m at the back wall of the house.

Our problem - the garden is about 90cm lower than the back of the house (there are concrete steps down to the garden.) as we are on a hill. Therefore at the allowed 3m height of the extension at the back, the head height inside at the floor level of the house will only be 2m - too low!)

Without realising, the company who were drawing our plans just assumed it would be ok to have a step down at the point where the extension starts in effect creating a split room on what was meant to be the big open kitchen/diner. We have a 6month so the last thing we want is a step in the middle of the room, and this divides it anyway and not how we imagined it would be like.

Do we have any other options? Our designers said we would never get planning for a height greater than under PD, and so this is best/only option.

We have looked at other houses in the street, and they are all typical L shaped (with stairs down to the kitchen on a slightly lower level) - so they are already lower level at the start of the kitchen before any extension. We are one of only 4 house where we are a box (no L), so the house is all on one level, with this large drop down into the garden.

We have thought about trying to lower the floor for the whole kitchen/diner, but you then create a step into this room at the doorway (which seems dangerous to me!)

Are there any exemptions for where the garden drops like this?
Could we get planning for a higher back than 3m?
Could we build up the garden to create a higher ground level?

Have been searching for answers but am unfortunately stumped!

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Sponsored Links
Woody - thanks.

Sorry for being a noddy - what would be the 'highest adjacent ground'

Assuming this is the ground at the back, this is our problem as 90cm of the 3m is taken up by the drop to the garden, meaning the true height (internally) is only 2.1m before the roof is built in, leaving 2m or less head height.

Its the ground immediately adjacent to the proposed extension, and this includes your neighbours land

Whoever is drawing the plans should know this

Sponsored Links
so this would exclude the option to have a raised garden floor, as the neighbour would have a lower ground floor and the measurement is taken from the lowest point anywhere adjacent to the extension?

Is this a common problem? I feel a little lucked out that if I was on the other side of the road this would not be an issue, nor if the ground was flat, its only because the garden drops off from the house.

Are there any other solutions to this kind of issue? Would a higher planning application automatically be rejected for extensions of this height (Wandsworth). (as stated one neighbour has a lean to, and on the other side is a high bush on the boundary, and then a tent in the area behind the house, so neither would be losing light compared to now. The height would still be 4m from the back of the house, only sloping slightly less to say 3.2m at the back of the extension.

I'm not sure why your agent said that a full planning application would definitely not be approved. Is there a specific planning policy that a taller extension would contravene?

Measurement is from the highest ground level not the lowest, and you can't build up ground and then take the measurement

I'm not sure why your agent said that a full planning application would definitely not be approved.

It's probably to cover up their cock-up and avoid having to admit they're wrong and submit a new application.

Thanks for the responses.

Our situation is sort of like the ninth (No2), however at the highest measurement (next to house), even the 3 metres is not enough at the back of the extension for sufficient height. (although we are on a hill, the garden is relatively flat at the back, the drop all basically occurs from house to garden, rather than the garden sloping away.)

Why do I say anything over 3m will be rejected? Well, we were advised (by more than one person) that the 3m height under PD is more generous than is generally accepted for a planning application.

The advice came from a former council planner hence why they have tried to design under PD. They have not submitted anything yet, and say I can submit a FPA if I want, but he says it will be rejected. I presume this is to ensure extensions are not a problemm to neighbours.

Is there guidance on what is acceptable height of eaves for extensions under FPA?

The example at 9 has a maximum height of 2.5m. Why 2.5m - I presume to not impact neighbouring properties?

In the 2008 GPDO rules, there doesn't seem to be any precise definition of "height", but it is generally taken to mean the highest point of the ground where it meets the building.
Have you thought of applying for a LDC to clarify this?
(The 2.5m height on the diagram applies to detached ("curtilage") buildings, such as garages etc; the diagram is just to show how height is measured. If your local planners insist they are correct, perhaps show them that diagram).

Thanks Tony.

I don't have any disagreement with the planners re the definition of height, I would be interested to know if you are aware of what is generally accepted as the maximum height of eaves if you were doing a FPA for an extension.

Does the government issue guidance on what each council's policy is formed on? (I can only ever find information on what is or is not permitted development rather than acceptable under a FPA)

I would need at least 3.2m height which the designer has said will automatically get rejected by the council.

I would say get a new designer. I have recently built an extension in a similar stituation to yours, only my ground level is 1.2m below floor level. We put in plans for a normal extension following existing floor and ceiling levels and they were passed with no problem. In fact the planner asked why we needed plans, it was permitted development! the raised decking outside the patio door needed plans!!.

Hi Maltaron,

Thanks. Very interesting. Can I ask why the planner thought you didn't need planning permission?

Assuming you had a sloped roof coming back from the house, under PD the max this can be at the eaves is 3m (starting from 4m at the back of the house). So if there is 1.2m of wall to get you to floor level, doesn't that only leave 1.8m above floor level to the top!

I am thinking about getting a new designer - just want to see if there are possibilities before incurring more fees!

There was never any mention of ground levels. I should mention that mine is a bungalow and the ridge is over 5m high. I used an architectural technician (who, incidentally, is a regular on this forum) who knows the area and local authorities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back