helium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the reason for my following question,

When you get a balloon ( birthday ) and it's filled with helium, after a while lets say 2 weeks or so, the balloon is a bit deflated but still rises. I know helium is lighter than air but why does the balloon deflate abit. ?

I've tried google helium but couldn't find the answer.

Sponsored Links
Because the balloon's skin slowly lets particles through. Now I'm guessing here, but Helium particles/molecules, being lighter than air, are smaller than oxygen and nitrogen particles, therefore will seep out of the rubber balloon quicker.

main reason is some will escape through the valve. Temperature will also have an effect on the gas as well.

Sponsored Links
So it's all down to leakage then, I thought it might of been down to chemical break down or so.

Never mind you live and learn :LOL:

markie said:
So it's all down to leakage then, I thought it might of been down to chemical break down or so.

how can it be a chemical breakdown, helium is a pure gas, made of - well helium

Crafty is right (for once) :evil:

Helium molecules are really small, and so they pass through the rubber, that's why those foil balloons (mylar) last longer. It's less porous

toasty said:

Helium molecules are really small, and so they pass through the rubber, that's why those foil balloons (mylar) last longer. It's less porous

The one i have is an foiled one. so it must leak from the glued bit.

breezer said:
markie said:

how can it be a chemical breakdown, helium is a pure gas, made of - well helium

When it comes to the likes of helium the only trhing i know it makes you talk in a high pitch way, :LOL: Do you know why that is by any chance ?

markie said:
I know helium is lighter than air but why does the balloon deflate a bit?
because it's porous. Because everything is porous.

markie said:
When it comes to the likes of helium the only trhing i know it makes you talk in a high pitch way, :LOL: Do you know why that is by any chance ?
It changes the resonant frequency of your vocal chords.

markie said:
When it comes to the likes of helium the only trhing i know it makes you talk in a high pitch way
So do two bricks.

toasty said:

Helium with a full 1s electronic orbital is inert and will therefore be atomic in nature, not molecular. But the answer is still correct, balloons filled with helium defalte quickly as helium is lost quite quickly through a rubber membrane, explains all the foil balloons (as above), which are much better at retaining helium.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

"In chemistry, a molecule is defined as a sufficiently stable electrically neutral group of at least two atoms in a definite arrangement held together by strong chemical bonds."[/i]

tim west said:
markie said:
When it comes to the likes of helium the only trhing i know it makes you talk in a high pitch way
So do two bricks.
But damp doesn`t rise up/round/through them (the bricks):p

Sponsored Links
Back