Hello All : Newbie requiring advice about a toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people .... A forum that helps with DIY ... Fantastic :D

This is my first post & hope its in correct category ... apologies if not

Lets just say my DIY skills leave a lot to be desired & my general knowledge of it, is even worse, so please be patient.

i have a seperate toilet room that measure 5ft6" long by 2ft9" wide & has an older style WC (but is a low level wc). 2 questions

Is there a way of boxing the cistern in ... can something be purchased to do this ??

Because its a little room (5ft6" long by 2ft9") the ceiling feels higher & is very echoey & i'de like to try & stop this ... I'm assuming carpet will help with preventing an echo (laminate at the moment) .. Are there any other tips of combating the echo ??

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
and what have we found :?: ..........the same old fear ;) .........lower the ceiling do not carpet the floor :mad:

Nige F said:
and what have we found :?: ..........the same old fear ;) .........lower the ceiling do not carpet the floor :mad:

Classic :mrgreen:

Mmmm not sure with my limited experience that lowering a ceiling can be a job i could do ... Anything simple suggestions for a simple DIY'er :oops:

Sponsored Links
pictures on the walls even a gallery, will help stop the sound bouncing around.

comfortably_numb said:
Is there a way of boxing the cistern in ... can something be purchased to do this ??
Is it the noisy cistern problem, if so, you could fit a quite toilet cistern valve, here

wall to wall carpet :?: :)

Insulation wallpaper :?:

I have seen a 25mm insulated toilet cistern, can't remember where though.

You can reduce the echo by lining the ceiling with e.g. acoustic tiles.

I have done it by "papering" the ceiling with a polystryrene "wallpaper" - you can get thick or thin ones, they reduce condensation a bit too.

If you paste them smooth-side to room, you can paste ordinary thick lining paper over the top and give it a couple of coats of emulsion; then it looks just like an ordinary ceiling. This will also hide cracks and unevenness.

I don't know how good a finish you get if you just emulsion the polystyrene. It is quite easy to hang and trim because it does not go floppy like wet paper.

It is not much good on walls because if you touch it will dent or tear easily.

None of the advice given will make much of a difference, lowering the ceiling will make the problem worse. Carpet would solve the problem but is a definite no-no in a bog.
The alternative is to fix acoustic tiles as per John's suggestion but these will look completely crap. I'd suggest hanging a thick curtain on one wall, or some kind of drape, that goes up to the ceiling. Maybe with some acoustic tiles behind?

To box the cistern should be a simple job using green MDF or plywood on 2x2 timber, then tile over. We'd really need to see a picture of it though to answer this better. How does it flush, handle? pushbutton?

Wow, QUICK reply! I'm beginning to feel like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, and thinking that you and I are the same person.

Well if you box it in then how would you flush it? (I'm asking you because I can't see the toilet) Do you have a digicam? Can you do us a pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back