hello fellow roofers and DIY's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been a roofer for over 14 years so glad that i have found this forum so i can share my passion my experience an technical knowledge to help provide and assit people with any of there concerns that they may have relating to the roofing industry :D

Sponsored Links
The reason there are so many cowboys in the sector is that the wrong training or advice has been given
People just haven't been taught properly or bothered to understand specification

Sponsored Links
I'd say its because there is no regulation of R&M work, so anyone can set themselves up as a roofer.

Then you have the homeowners fears of a problem with the roof, which they can't get to, and could cause significant damage. So they will pay for a fix

And they can't check the work, most often can't even see the work, and so don't know what has been done. A rogues paradise.

That is why most scams are related to work on the roof

Hello + welcome Brummie roofer . Tarmacking , roofing and dodgy generator sales - that`s what gives proper roofers a bad name ;)

Totally agree with woody on this one!

Although we have been accused of destroying the industry, the majority of residential work is re-roofing if we install a roof that lasts over a hundred years we are hurting are fellow roofers by taking away future work.

Unfortunately I know more bad roofers than good. A rare breed.

Its also been recognised (NHBC and others) that the quality of new site work has deteriorated in the past 10-20 years or so.

This has lead to the recommendation of dry fix work instead of using mortar for new build

This aspect is related to poor training and lowing of quality standards - and the vogue of fast completion of work and low prices

I've said it on here before, but you can look around at houses built 50-80 years ago and see the the original ridges, hips and verges in worn but good original condition. And then you see houses built 10 or 20 years ago with missing tiles and patches of roof repairs

You can't beat nice brickwork and roof tiling to set a property off. Its just getting harder and harder to find either

You Know yourself woody if they have screwed the price down to roof a new estate say 60 plus houses on a price then corners are cut, in out as fast as they can, targets to meet, more profit to be made, poorer quality etc etc.

surely roofers with no skill wont stay in business for long all they are doing is ripping people off and giving honest professional roofers a bad name
Its my understanding that since 2002 all re roofing work has had to be signed of by a local building control officer to make sure the roof and insulation meets the minimum required standard , :?:

Its my understanding that since 2002 all re roofing work has had to be signed of by a local building control officer to make sure the roof and insulation meets the minimum required standard , :?:

There needs to be an application to check insulation when renewing complete roof tiles, but the inspector is only there to check the insulation, not the tiles or quality of the work

You Know yourself woody if they have screwed the price down to roof a new estate say 60 plus houses on a price then corners are cut, in out as fast as they can, targets to meet, more profit to be made, poorer quality etc etc.

Exactly, most roofers/joiners dont get chance to even price the larger sites. Its the House builders who dictate how much money is in the pot to;
put the roof up, or tile the roof. So naturally they throw it up as quick as they can and this is where the poor quality/workmanship comes in to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back