Hello with Toshiba tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is away at university and ordered and had delivered a Toshiba 43U6863DB LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43" from John Lewis.

She has her ps4 connected to the TV and uses it to watch Netflix and YouTube on the TV.

In the last week whilst watching YouTube via the ps4, the screen has gone dark but the sound is still on. She has to turn the TV off and back on to view the picture

Any help to rectify this issue or explain why it happens would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The ps4 was fine with the hdmi on our TV at home although it's not a 4k one.

Why do people come onto forums asking for help and then argue against any advice they are given. I see it time and time again and it is so painful to read.

You have two options, one is to listen to the advice, try and alternative lead and either rule that out or confirm it as the issue. Or you can ignore the advice, call JLP and get them to take in the TV as faulty and see if they can reproduce the fault.

Why do people come onto forums asking for help and then argue against any advice they are given. I see it time and time again and it is so painful to read.

You have two options, one is to listen to the advice, try and alternative lead and either rule that out or confirm it as the issue. Or you can ignore the advice, call JLP and get them to take in the TV as faulty and see if they can reproduce the fault.

I really appreciate the help from members.
Perhaps I could have worded my previous post better.

Can you please explain what the difference is between cables that would mean the picture goes off. Perhaps after providing some technical explanation you could advise me what lead would be better.

Thank you

Check any energy saving features are disabled on the TV just in case they're sensing a lack of interaction. One of my TVs has a menu for this where if there's no button pressed on the TV remote after an hour or two then it will go in to low power standby.

There's some troubleshooting you (or your daughter) can do to narrow down what might be wrong.

1) Start off with the TV switched on, then press the MENU button. Even with no signal input, you should see some kind of on-screen display. Double-check by adjusting the volume. If no display, then this tells us that there could be a screen issue either with the circuits that make a picture, or with the LED lighting behind the screen that lets us see the picture.

Where there is no picture, the next thing to do is to adjust the TV to an input with a signal, then shine a torch on to the screen surface and look at the screen up close. Where there's a backlight problem you'll still be able to see the pixels changing, it just won't show the colours. If you are sure there's no movement then it could be a screen drive issue. Either fault is a 'contact the retailer to fix under warranty' fault.

2) Where you have an on-screen display from the menus or volume bar but no picture, then it's possibly a signal processing issue with the TV or, more likely, a source signal issue such as the wrong input selected or a bad connection or something stopping the picture at source.

If possible, try another source. This could be aerial, or another AV/HDMI input or possibly a streaming source.

For any more in-depth help, we'd need to know a little more about how things are connected and the timespans involved.

The point is that the cable currently connecting her PS4 to the TV may be faulty. Try a different cable. They can be bought cheaply enough from Amazon if she doesn't have access to a spare one currently. If the problem still exists with a new/different cable, then I would be phoning JLP up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back